Sea waves

Post your RealFlow | Cinema 4D questions here.
Thanos Kagkalos

Sea waves

Post by Thanos Kagkalos » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:14 pm

Hello, maybe a noob question, but what is the principle behind setting up sea waves in c4d? What type of forces or tricks etc? thank u very much

Thomas Schlick

Re: Sea waves

Post by Thomas Schlick » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:06 am

Hi Thanos,

I assume you're talking about rolling and breaking waves, e.g. for a shoreline. In RF|C4D there's no native daemon or tool to get these waves, because our plugin was mainly designed for small-scale simulations.

Anyway, if you want to get such an effect you need a setup that has a deep and a shallow zone, similar to a beach, where the waves can break and run out. And then you need something to push the particles. A typical way to do this is a simple cube that moves back and forth, pushing the particles towards the beach. A you can add C4D's "Vibrate" tag to a cube, for example. Anyway, I think it's not easy to get a working vibration frequency that give you natural waves.

Another idea is to use a wind daemon that's oriented towards the beach as well and has an alternating strength (wind <-> no wind). This will also push the particles, but the problem is again to find working settings.

So, it's mainly experimimenting with different settings and methods and you'll also need some patience. But I don't know if the results will satisfy your expectations.

Thanos Kagkalos

Post by Thanos Kagkalos » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:50 am

Thanks a lot Thomas. I ll give it a shot, yea i was looking for something like a daemon. I didnt know RF is designed for specific scene scales in mind. Some examples for its usage? Appreciate the help!

Thomas Schlick

Post by Thomas Schlick » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:21 am

You're welcome. In RF standalone we have such a daemon and it's called "Ocean Force", but there we also have the Hybrido solver for large scales. In the RF|C4D plugin we've focussed on smaller scales due to the typical C4D user base. That's why RF|C4D is cheaper than the full version.

Typical projects for the RF|C4D plugin are all kinds of liquids for TVCs, e.g. food and beverage, but also sand, gravel, and snow. Objects, moving through water or colliding with splashes. Splashes in general are very common, and also paint or viscous liquids. Fluid morphing between different shapes and states (liquid <-> solid) But you can also do mid-scale shots like water rushing through an underpass etc. etc. ;)

Thanos Kagkalos

Post by Thanos Kagkalos » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:57 pm

Thanks again for the quick response. I ll have to bother u with different subjects cause im really new to RF and c4d same time. cheers