can't see simulation under fluid container to drag multiple emitters in the link area

Post your RealFlow | Cinema 4D questions here.
Ghita Pedol

can't see simulation under fluid container to drag multiple emitters in the link area

Post by Ghita Pedol » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:45 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to recreate a scene where there are multiple emitters emitting a liquid with same properties but in different space.
I was looking at the Realflow documentation where it says to drag the multiple emitters in the link area under Fluid > Simulation, but I can't find the Simulation option anywhere in my scene.

I'm attaching both a screenshot of the Realflow documentation as well as a screenshot of my own scene.
my attribute manager.PNG
reaflow documentation.PNG
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas Schlick

Re: can't see simulation under fluid container to drag multiple emitters in the link area

Post by Thomas Schlick » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:19 pm

Oh! That's a screenshot from RF|C4D v1.0 and now this field can be found under Fluid > Fluid tab > Links. The principle is exactly the same as described in the manual, but I'll go through it again and update everything. Thank you!

EDIT: The screenshot in the v2.0 manual is correct and shows the new workflow, but you've been looking in the v1.0 manual instead ;)
Last edited by Thomas Schlick on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ghita Pedol

Re: can't see simulation under fluid container to drag multiple emitters in the link area

Post by Ghita Pedol » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:18 am

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your reply.

I tried dragging all the emitters under Fluid > Fluid tab > Links, but it wouldn't let me link more than one emitter per fluid.
The only thing that worked so far was to create a separate fluid for each emitter, but the calculation becomes way too big and when caching the simulation it takes forever to bake it... It took 15 hours to cache 70% of the simulation and eventually I had to interrupt it as it was taking way too long...
each fluid has a particle count of 1880.
multiple emitters only work with a separate fluid each.PNG
Would you happen to know why Realflow wouldn't let me drag the multiple emitters in the link area as you advised on doing?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas Schlick

Post by Thomas Schlick » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:05 pm

Sorry, but could you please point me the manual site where I talk about the possibility of connecting one emitter to several fluids? Please don't get me wrong, I just want to correct it in case it's mentioned somewhere. I'm always thankful when users point me to errors in the docs.

I'm just asking, because what you'r trying to achieve not possible: You can use multiple emitters with a single fluid container, but cannot connect one emitter to multiple fluids. The reason is that, in such a case, it's impossible to differentiate if a particle belongs to fluid A or B. Even if it was possible it won't speed up your simulation, because the number of particles and interactions wouldn't be affected by such a setup.

So, the only way to go is indeed to create separate emitters for the various fluids. What you can do to make things faster is to check if all fluids really have to interact. To do that go to Fluid > Fluid > Links and add the fluid containers you want to interact. Or the remove the ones you want to keep isolated.

Hope this helps.

Thomas Schlick

Post by Thomas Schlick » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:33 pm

Hi again Ghita,

One more question on that: You have multiple fluids there. Do they all have different properties (density, particle type, resolution, etc)? It looks as if they're all the same. If the fluids have the same properties, then it's not too difficult, because you only need one fluid and 8 emitters. Then you link the fluid to the 8 emitters and that's all. You'll also see that you simulation will be way faster.

If you're still struggling with that just let me know. I'm sure that your problem can be sorted out ;)

Ghita Pedol

Post by Ghita Pedol » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:10 pm

Thomas Schlick wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:33 pm
Hi again Ghita,

One more question on that: You have multiple fluids there. Do they all have different properties (density, particle type, resolution, etc)? It looks as if they're all the same. If the fluids have the same properties, then it's not too difficult, because you only need one fluid and 8 emitters. Then you link the fluid to the 8 emitters and that's all. You'll also see that you simulation will be way faster.

If you're still struggling with that just let me know. I'm sure that your problem can be sorted out ;)
Hello again Thomas,

Yes this is exactly what I am trying to achieve...
Having 8 emitters linked to one fluid container as all 8 fluids would have the same properties...
However when I try dragging the emitters in the link area of my fluid container Realflow wouldn't let me do so..
I can't figure out why this is happening.
Is there a way I could send you a simplified scene for you to test it?

Thanks

Ghita Pedol

Post by Ghita Pedol » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:19 pm

Hi again Thomas,

I managed to figure out how to link the multiple emitters to the fluid container thanks to further manual documentation found here:

http://support.nextlimit.com/display/RF ... e+Emitters

What I was doing wrong was trying to drag the emitters in the fluid link area instead of dragging the fluid container under Emitter > Emission > Link

So I'm all sorted on this one now :)

Thanks anyway for the support!

Thomas Schlick

Post by Thomas Schlick » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:26 pm

No worries Ghita. We're very, very close.

Please create a new scene, because it's easier there to illustrate what I mean. There add one fluid container and the 8 emitters. Then you go to Emitter > Emission > Links. You'll see an entry there already: "Fluid". Now check if the other emitters do have this entry as well. If not, drag "Fluid" to the emitters' "Links" fields.

That's actually all you have to do to connect emitters and fluid - and enough for your scene. Your "problem" was that you're trying to put the emitters to the fluid's "Links" field, but it has to be the other way: the fluid has to be put to the emitter's "Links".

But of course you can send me your scene as well. Just drop me a link via PM and I'll take a look.

Cheers,
Thomas

Thomas Schlick

Post by Thomas Schlick » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:27 pm

So I'm all sorted on this one now
Alright! Great to hear that. My previous post was describing exactly what you've been trying now. If you have further questions just post me.

Ghita Pedol

Post by Ghita Pedol » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:46 pm

Alright! Great to hear that. My previous post was describing exactly what you've been trying now. If you have further questions just post me.
[/quote]

Hello again Thomas,

would you also please be able to point me where to change the settings for the start of the emission and the emission duration?

Thank you.