can't get image emitter to match texture bitmap

Post your RealFlow | Cinema 4D questions here.
Ghita Pedol

can't get image emitter to match texture bitmap

Post by Ghita Pedol » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:18 am

Hi,

I'm currently working on a scene where a liquid fills a tub with a perforated base and hundreds of droplets are dripping through it.

I tried using an image emitter and uploaded a bitmap texture and I managed to get the liquid to flow from lots of circles but both the overall size of the fluid flows and shape of the emitter are wrong ( I would like for the emitter to be round and not square and for the circular flows of water to perfectly match the texture).

Attached is a screenshot to better explain, I tried attaching a simplified and compressed scene but it wouldn't let me load it.
image emitter.PNG
Any advice on how to achieve this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas Schlick

Re: can't get image emitter to match texture bitmap

Post by Thomas Schlick » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:12 pm

The image emitter is always squared, but you can mask out non-emitting areas in the bitmap by defining a black area around a circle with white spots: black = no emission and white = emission.

And the image emitter can be scaled like any other C4D object to make it bigger or smaller. The loaded bitmap will scale along with the emitter, but it might be necessary that you have to use a bitmap with a higher resolution to avoid artifacts and alias effects.

Ghita Pedol

Post by Ghita Pedol » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:24 pm

Hi Thomas and thank you for your reply.

I did as you advised and created a texture which matches perfectly my disc, my issue now is that the white circles to create liquid droplets have to be very small, and when I know import in cinema this new texture doesn't seem to be recognised and the texture looks smudged.
texture-to-remake-in-illustrator-photoshop-smaller-dots.png
smudged texture.PNG
Any idea of how I could overcome this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas Schlick

Post by Thomas Schlick » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:06 pm

Not sure if I understand this correctly, but isn't it possible to make these white spots bigger? These tiny white elements act as one big circle, not as a pattern. In such a case you could also use a simple circle emitter. But maybe it's just a misunderstanding? When I was talking about higher resolution I simply meant the number of pixels, e.g. from 300 x 300 to 1000 x 1000.

Ghita Pedol

Post by Ghita Pedol » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:17 pm

The dots have to be small because I'm trying to recreate droplets dripping through very small holes. If i make the droplets bigger they just wont look correct, as larger dots/droplets would mean that the liquid no longer drips through, but it would trickle or pour through instead, hope this makes sense?

Thomas Schlick

Post by Thomas Schlick » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:27 pm

I'm not sure if you'll be able to achieve this behaviour through an emission map. With such a small pattern I think everything will look like a simple circle emitter. Anyway, what you can try is to (drastically) increase the fluid's "Resolution" parameter to get more particles, because "Resolution" also controls a particle's radius. This way you're able to lower the distance between your particles.

Ghita Pedol

Post by Ghita Pedol » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:50 pm

Hi Thomas,

Would you be able to recommend another method to obtain the desired effect?

Thanks

Thomas Schlick

Post by Thomas Schlick » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:28 pm

Please let me think about this a little. You said that you can provide your scene setup. That would be helpful. Please store somewhere external (dropbox, goodgle drive) and send me the link via PM. This forum doesn't have enough resources to upload files directly.

Ghita Pedol

Post by Ghita Pedol » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:58 pm

Thank you Thomas,

Here is the dowload link from wetransfer

https://we.tl/3T7gtXzpT4

Ideally I would like for my droplets to be as big as the cylinders created with mograph cloner in the masking object null.

Kind Regards,

Ghita

Thomas Schlick

Post by Thomas Schlick » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:12 pm

Oki-doki. Got the file :)