Character collider issues

Post your RealFlow | Cinema 4D questions here.
Scott Frizzle

Character collider issues

Post by Scott Frizzle » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:07 pm

I've noticed that when using a rigged and animated character as an collision object, the simulation slows down drastically once the character begins to animate. If I just use the character geometry with no animation applied as the collision object, the sim runs at normal speed. I don't see the same slowdown with non-rigged animated objects. I've tried baking the character animation and even exporting as an Alembic file and re-importing, but the slowdown still persists. Can you suggest a solution or workaround, or is this just the nature of how this type of collision object is calculated by RealFlow|Cinema 4D? I've attached a simplified file for reference.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas Schlick

Re: Character collider issues

Post by Thomas Schlick » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:34 am

RF|C4D creates an internal collision geometry from the object for the interaction with particles. When the base object has deformation, PLA, or a change in scale (what's very likely with characters) the collision geometry has to be recalculated during the simulation. And, depending on the complexity of the base object, this takes some time and slows down the simulation. The most effective workaround is to reduce the number of polygons as far as possible or use low-res proxy objects.

The quality of the collision geometry also plays a role and you can adjust in the volume tag's parameters. Cell size and surface offset are the crucial parameters. And when you click on Collider > Display > Show collision geometry you can see the internal object.

Scott Frizzle

Post by Scott Frizzle » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:25 pm

Thanks Thomas. I didn't notice much of a difference when I drastically reduced the number of polygons in the character, but it may have been that it was still taking long enough to give the illusion that there was no benefit. It looks like I'll just have deal with the additional calculation time, but at least I know it's not something wrong with the setup.

Thomas Schlick

Post by Thomas Schlick » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:31 am

Thanks for letting me know Scott. I'll pass your example scene to our developers so they can analyse it.