Viscous fluids density

Post your RealFlow | Cinema 4D questions here.
Scott Frizzle

Viscous fluids density

Post by Scott Frizzle » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:12 pm

I was wondering if you could provide some insight as to how to get one viscous fluid to float on top of another. It seems that even when inputing extreme density differences between the fluids, they tend to mix rather than the less dense fluid floating on top of the more dense fluid. I've tried various resolutions, substeps, and settings within each viscous fluid but can't seem to get this type of behavior to work.

Thanks!
viscous fluids density.c4d.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas Schlick

Re: Viscous fluids density

Post by Thomas Schlick » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:08 pm

Sorry for the late reply Scott, but I was a) ill and b) busy with some other projects.

You're right, the phyiscal interaction between viscous fluids with different densities doesn't turn out as it actually should. I was also experimenting with your scene, but it's indeed a bit disappointing. I'll pass your scene to our developers and file a bug report. I'll also ask the main developer of the Dyverso engine to see if he has some tips or ideas.

The simulation of fluids with different densitites in general is not so easy with Dyverso as it should. The particles often just mix and do not separate correctly, as you've observed already. Some particles almost stop and create bubble-like structures. This makes me think that it might be a fundamental issue of the Dyverso solver that requires deeper changes, but let's see what the developers say.

I also want to ask for some more patience because of the Easter holidays. As soon as I have answers I'll get back to you here.

Happy Easter!

Scott Frizzle

Re: Viscous fluids density

Post by Scott Frizzle » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:03 pm

Thanks Thomas. No problem at all on your reply time of course! I appreciate you looking into this. Also, thanks for your work on the webinar. I learned some useful tips that will probably prevent me from bugging you here in the future. :)