Computer Crashing issue

Post your RealFlow | Cinema 4D questions here.
Nick Dufresne

Computer Crashing issue

Post by Nick Dufresne » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:31 am

Hey guys, I downloaded the Realflow for Cinema4D demo and I've been experiencing this weird issue. I was hoping to maybe purchase the software in the future, so i'm hoping i can figure this one out before my 13 days left are gone. Basically, i'll be running a simulation in the viewport, and my monitor, keyboard, and my speakers will completely shut off and the PC will stay running (Wont shut off without literally pulling the power cable).

When it first started happening I contacted Alienware Support, who suggested that I run some tests to rule out hardware. The tests suggested that my CPU (Threadripper 16-Cores) and my GPU (1080ti) were functioning fine. I've been monitoring my GPU/CPU/RAM with task manager and noticed that right around when it started happening, my RAM (32GB) would jump to like 97%, and the emitter wouldn't even want to start pushing out particles...It would just hang at frame 0.

I tweaked the cell size and it started working perfectly but shortly after, it started crashing again :( Another symptom I noticed was when I would click and drag on my desktop, my background would start pixellating to black along with the cursor. Has anyone experienced any issues like this and could recommend a fix? Thanks!

EDIT: I never ended up quite figuring out what caused the issue. Since then I've experienced some other weird hiccups that seemed to have something to do with my RAM. Hopefully i'll be able to narrow it down in the future.
Last edited by Nick Dufresne on Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Christian Zuppinger

Re: Computer Crashing issue

Post by Christian Zuppinger » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:22 am

Hi

sounds like the simulation is using up all RAM, then the PC hangs.
Does this also happen with very small sims, like below 100k particles? Does it happen when you have "using GPU" enabled in the settings of the RF scene? The last one is crash-prone when too much memory is used.

Nick Dufresne

Post by Nick Dufresne » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:35 pm

Thats what I figured...However, the last time it crashed (the one that prompted me to write this post), I had the performance monitor up and running and it looked liked the Ram was only at like 50%. Also, I did notice that most of the time when it happens the GPU setting is ticked on but it did happen in CPU mode once as well.

Christian Zuppinger

Post by Christian Zuppinger » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:48 pm

Well, I don't know if there could be other issues with drivers. I am using the RFC4D plugin quite often lately in C4D R19 Studio with Windows10, Aorus1080Ti, i9-7940X CPU, 128GB RAM and it works well, unless I am exceeding VRAM in GPU mode.

Nick Dufresne

Post by Nick Dufresne » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:24 pm

Very interesting...I'll have to keep an eye on the VRAM as well. By the way, to answer your question about the small sims, I didn't notice the exact particle count but this one was definitely way over 100k.