collider moving upwards towards emitter

Post your RealFlow | Cinema 4D questions here.
howie

collider moving upwards towards emitter

Post by howie » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:43 pm

Hi all. I have a set up were an emitter is pouring chocolate like fluid down over an object. As the chocolate hits the object it moves downwards a little and then comes back up to its original position as if it was forced down by the weight of the chocolate. When the object moves back up the chocolate that has already landed on the collider object kind of glitches and wiggles about a bit. Does anyone know how to stop this happening?

Scott Frizzle

Re: collider moving upwards towards emitter

Post by Scott Frizzle » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:07 pm

Without seeing the file, I'd first check to see if you're getting that behavior when you cache the sim. Sometimes there is weirdness playing back the sim in the viewport that you don't get once the sim is cached.

The next thing I'd try is adding scene substeps; it could be that your object is moving too much or too quickly for RF to calculate the collisions correctly. Adding resolution to the fluid can sometimes help collision issues as well.

Since this is probably a viscous/ viscoelastic sim, I'd recommend simulating at 60fps, which gets rid off all kinds of issues like gaps in the emitter stream, etc. In my experience it's almost always worth the extra calculation time.

howie

Re: collider moving upwards towards emitter

Post by howie » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:27 am

Cheers Scott. Caching it seemed to do he trick but weirdly, it was different on GPU and CPU. Good tip on the 60fps point too, I'll bare that in mind in future.