H2 resizing?

o.delellis@gmail.com

H2 resizing?

Post by o.delellis@gmail.com » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:22 am

hi

my sim goes well, untill i get this tall-ish splash that hits the top of the domain.. see pic (middle top)

is there a way to resize the domain?
the only workaround i can think of which i will try in a sec is to place some dummy geometry above the water line as high as i want the domain to be.

but was wondering if there is another method?
shot03_H2_002_x6__01038.png

thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

o.delellis@gmail.com

Re: H2 resizing?

Post by o.delellis@gmail.com » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:41 am

ook...

added a small cube, a bit higher than what i think the splash will go.

the sim is pretty long but the domain size doesn't look like it has increased...so the extra geo might not work..

will find out for sure in 16 hours..... :lol:

CG_Nema

Post by CG_Nema » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:08 am

I'm not sure I understand the problem. Can you just use the Box Open Top primitive? That should solve your problem because the domains in RF are no longer bounded. Alternatively, you can disconnect the boundary geometry from the splash emitter in the relationship editor.

o.delellis@gmail.com

Post by o.delellis@gmail.com » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:54 am

it is using an open top box, what it is hitting is the domain in boundary...and there is no other geometry the domain can hit besides the open top box and the critter diving

i know rf2013 uses unbounded domains, so that is why i am perplexed by this

CG_Nema

Post by CG_Nema » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:39 pm

Yeah that's weird, maybe someone from NL will he'd some light on it soon.

o.delellis@gmail.com

Post by o.delellis@gmail.com » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:10 am

ok,

i added a small box/cube to try to make the domain larger, so t force the H2 domain node to go a bit further, but the results are the same.

the domain is a set size at the start of the sim regardless of the small cube (see pics).

so the domain is not 'adaptive' during simulation? as it wont 'grow', this shoudnt apply as the domains are unbounded?

the only unusual (maybe) things are i groupped the creature as it has a few geometry elements and linked the group to the domain, not each individual object...the creature / collisions does work..

and the toher bit is i am using a tub/container that i imported as a multibody, so i can tweak that separate from the creature SD file...

any ideas?
upload_hittop.jpg
upload_show_all.jpg
upload_graph.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

o.delellis@gmail.com

Post by o.delellis@gmail.com » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:17 am

ok,,,i did some tests with low res geometry (not a 20h sim)

the domain does change size, with particles splashing up...so that works.

the issue i am having i am almost certain is to do with the tub/container geometry and what Rf deines as 'solid outside'.

the particles are free to travel beyond the geometry upwards by abut 2x the cell size.

it would be good to have a free boundary or similar parameter, so if the sims are rather splashy, we only need to adjust such parameter rathern than tweak any geometry ;)
upload_openTop_short.jpg
upload_openTop_taller.jpg

sergek

Post by sergek » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:18 am

Hey Octavio,

An easy workaround maybe to use a slightly different version of the open top container. Build it in 3d app, import it into rf, solid inside:

Cheers,
Serge

sergek

Post by sergek » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:51 am

Also works with an animated version:

Cheers,
Serge

o.delellis@gmail.com

Post by o.delellis@gmail.com » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:30 am

thanks Serge....