Recommended scene settings for GPU

dmeyer

Recommended scene settings for GPU

Post by dmeyer » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:54 pm

Hello,

Testing with RF2013 here and having a hard time noticing any GPU usage even when it is enabled.

The documents say set sampling to dense and a hight particle per cell, but still not any real activity on GPU.

Does anyone have a simple scene that really taxes the GPU? Or recommened settings? I'd like to test some different GPU configurations.

Also does anyone have any idea of how much accleration is offered by these:
http://www.nallatech.com/opencl-fpga-ac ... cards.html

I saw this mentioned in another thread.

LuisMiguel

Re: Recommended scene settings for GPU

Post by LuisMiguel » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:30 pm

Hi dmayer,

I guess you have the drivers for Open CL 1.1 to work with that graphic card. I can't see that info in the web you indicated below. RF will use the GPU if you have the Open CL 1.1 drivers only. Also, keep in mind that gpu likes the particles. You won't see any difference if you have few particles in the simulation. An example I made with 9 millions of particles reduced the time with GPU at least 1h.30m.

luisM.

dmeyer

Post by dmeyer » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:27 pm

LuisMiguel wrote:Hi dmayer,

I guess you have the drivers for Open CL 1.1 to work with that graphic card. I can't see that info in the web you indicated below. RF will use the GPU if you have the Open CL 1.1 drivers only. Also, keep in mind that gpu likes the particles. You won't see any difference if you have few particles in the simulation. An example I made with 9 millions of particles reduced the time with GPU at least 1h.30m.

luisM.
Thanks luis. I guess I am looking for an example scene to use so I can evaluate different GPU's performance contribution in RealFlow. In the tests I have run the GPU will be dormant for most of the simulation and then spike to high usage momentarily once per frame. Is this expected behavior?

I was more asking in general about FPGA cards such as the one in the link, if they are superior to GPU in OpenCL within RealFlow. I saw that card mentioned in the RealFLow documentation.

LuisMiguel

Post by LuisMiguel » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:06 pm

Hi,

About the GPU behavior, it is correct. The GPU won't show the memory work process until it is used, and it will take few time in the GPU monitor.

About the FPGA, we have not tested with this graphic cards, but RealFlow will work in a right manner with GPU with any graphic card and OpenCL 1.1.

luisM. ;)