RF crashes with group actions

tsn

RF crashes with group actions

Post by tsn » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:30 am

Under OS X (10.6.3) I often experience crashes when I try to change properties of a large selection of objects or groups. I have, for example, scenes with 150 or 200 objects and try to change their colour. I select them, open Node Params and adjust a colour - after a short moment, RF crashes. This also happens when the objects are grouped and I want change the colour of the group to affect all included nodes.

This error can be reproduced.
Thomas Schlick | Next Limit Technologies

Alex
Site Admin

Re: RF crashes with group actions

Post by Alex » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:36 am

Hi Thomas,

Are you creating these objects with the "Create Array" tool?

tsn

Post by tsn » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:10 pm

Hi Alex,

No, these objects have just been imported from C4D, for example pre-fractured walls or larger numbers of other objects, e.g. spheres. Changing properties at once works for approx. 50-75 objects, higher numbers will crash RF. It makes no difference whether these objects are grouped or part of a multi-selection. Changing RBD masses, colours or other parameters will cause these crashes.

The objects are correctly triangulated and don't have degenerated faces. Also simulations work fine and the problems are exclusively limited to parameter changes of large node selections.

Best,
Thomas

Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:12 pm

Hi again Thomas,

thank you very much for the feedback. We have been able to reproduce the issue. It happens when selection is bigger than 100 and some object has been removed previously. We'll try to figure out why that magic number.

Thanks again

tsn

Post by tsn » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:35 pm

Thanks for the confirmation, Alex.

Maybe it has something to do with RF's undo cache, because with scenes containing a larger amount of objects I can sometimes observe the following: when I remove the original objects (e.g. a pre-fractured wall), add some new nodes and then close RF, I can see how the old objects are removed from the viewport during shutdown. They're not physically part of the scene, but it seems as if they're visible when the undo stack is emptied.

Best,
Thomas

Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:54 pm

Hi again Thomas,

yes, it is definitively related to the undo stack being modified during the execution of the parameter change.

Current safest workaround would be disabling the undo/redo stack. A bigger size of this stack doesn't guarantee you will never fill it and wrap around eventually.

Thank you very much for finding it. It is apparently fixed for the patch.