Stitcher still not working

FlorianK

Stitcher still not working

Post by FlorianK » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:30 pm

Was looking onto it, together with some programmers...like this is is more than useless. It just won't work (at least in Windows).

Another issue it is RF ABC not working in Maya at all. It is more than frustrating to have things like this preventing you from doing the other work you have to do. Why is it impossible for you to create an intuitive way to create ABC files and/ or make it work with Maya? If you cannot get that done, you shouldn't have shipped RF 2013 with ABC support in the first place.

enrique
Site Admin

Re: Stitcher still not working

Post by enrique » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:18 pm

Hi Florian,

Sorry to hear that. I just installed the latest RF in windows and tested the stitcher. It worked as expected:
http://tinypic.com/r/339ugyv/5

About the maya compatibility issue: our alembic files are not a made up format, as we use the alembic api to store our meshes and particles. It is really difficult to make them non-compatible with the rest of the alembic readers, even if we'd try to do so. The example programs released together with the alembic source code, detect our geometry without any kind of issue (I'm talking about abcecho), Houdini (imho the best alembic support out there) is able to load all of our meshes and all of our particles properly and RealFlow is able to re-load those alembic files it has written before... So I am not sure this is a RF problem, we would look into it though, as I understand that the problem, of whoever it is, it is kind of a big deal for us all.
By the way have you tried using crate for maya?

Enrique.
Enrique Turegano
RealFlow | Cinema4D developer

enrique
Site Admin

Post by enrique » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:42 pm

Hi again,

I was convinced that our alembics were not readable in maya...but gave it a try and they worked!?

Can you tell me if this alembic fails to load on your maya or not? https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/574 ... _wall4.abc
Enrique Turegano

FlorianK

Post by FlorianK » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:15 pm

Ok, it is working (the Maya file). But what we are still after is how Sitcher handles sequences. In the image, you have manually entered each single file to stitch. How's that supposed to work with 600 Frames? As * doesn't work etc.

enrique
Site Admin

Post by enrique » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:49 pm

I thought we settled that, didn't we?

http://www.realflow.com/forum/viewtopic ... 0&start=10
Enrique Turegano

FlorianK

Post by FlorianK » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:02 am

Ahh, cool!! It seems I forgot about that script.

FlorianK

Post by FlorianK » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:34 pm

Trying to use that Python code Enrique gave me in order to stitch the files results in an error. It says my Command Line was too long....

Really, How on earth is this supposed to be working? Is there maybe a batch Graph existing one could use to address this problem?

enrique
Site Admin

Post by enrique » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:08 pm

Remember that you can stitch files in chunks, I mean, if the line is too long, stitch the first 50 files to a file called "whatnot1.abc", then stitch the second 50 files to "whatnot2.abc", etc...
Then stitch "whatnot1.abc", "whatnot2.abc", etc to "final_stitched_file.abc"

For the next patch all this problems are going to be resolved.
Enrique Turegano

FlorianK

Post by FlorianK » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:44 pm

enrique wrote:(...)

For the next patch all this problems are going to be resolved.

Good to be hearing that. After stitching together the first 20 frames of my abc's, this resulted in a file which was just 5KB in size. Loading this into Maya or Houdini shows no geometry at all.

enrique
Site Admin

Post by enrique » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:55 pm

Can you send me those 20 files Florian?
Enrique Turegano