Object based surface force field

izo

Object based surface force field

Post by izo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:12 pm

Hey guys,

I've tested the "surface force field" example found on the resources page, it's great, but...

I would like to be able to use a cached geometry as input instead of setting parameters for the statistical spectrum. Does anyone know if it's possible at all? Or have you seen it done with graphs?

Any tips appreaciated,
Dave

CG_Nema

Re: Object based surface force field

Post by CG_Nema » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:36 am

I've done this, it can give you some interesting results. Basically you just need to input the verts from 2 objects with identical topology instead of from 2 displaced plane like the original graph does.

The reason you need 2 objects is that the verts from one object will give you the positions for the vectors in the force field, but they don't have any actual vectors to use as a the velocities at those positions.

So you bring in a second object that has the same topology, and place it and/or deform it however you want, and subtract the positions of the first objects vert from the positions of the second objects verts to make velocity vectors that aim from the first objects vert to the positions of the second objects vert with the same index.

I hope that isn't too complicated of a description, feel free to ask for advice. I will check if I have the graph, or I'll remake it and post it here to help.