object collision detection/filter?

marnix@rckmn.nl

object collision detection/filter?

Post by marnix@rckmn.nl » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:23 pm

Question

Can a daemon affect only the particles (of the same emitter) after those have collided with an object?

Goal
what I want to achieve is a high-speed jet (fluid emitter at the speeds of 80-120) that hits the inside of a dishwasher without bouncing off so violently that it sprays drops in all directions.

I've been tweaking with the particle-object settings, but those have their limits so basically I want to have a drag force that will slow the particles down after impact.
I tried doing it with a bounded drag force but then still have allot of particles that bounce so fast they are out of the bounded area a few frames after collision and then are no longer affected anymore

I've looked around and read something about the filter daemon, but that's only with fluids.
Also have seen some posts somewhere about scripted plugins but those seemed to slow things down allot and were meant to kill them.

I'm not good with scripting (never done it in RF) so before I jump into it... does anyone have experience with this and / or is this even possible to do it?
m.rckmn.nl

gus
Site Admin

Re: object collision detection/filter?

Post by gus » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:51 pm

Hi Marnix,

The filter daemon should be able to do that using the 'On Collision' to shift over those colliding with the dishwasher.
Then you simply have to maintain the shifted particles linked to the original emitter so they interact.

I might be missing something though, but seems to me like an easy one for the Filter daemon ;).

g-)
...........Gus Sánchez-Pérez..........
RealFlow Product Manager
Next Limit Technologies

marnix@rckmn.nl

Post by marnix@rckmn.nl » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:57 pm

gus wrote:Hi Marnix,

The filter daemon should be able to do that using the 'On Collision' to shift over those colliding with the dishwasher.
Then you simply have to maintain the shifted particles linked to the original emitter so they interact.

I might be missing something though, but seems to me like an easy one for the Filter daemon ;).

g-)

duh.. I think I completely miss-read the help instruction (and didn't actually try..).. my bad.
I thought it only worked at particle-2-particle collision, not with objects.

The only 'problem' is that some filtered particles go through the object now.
but guessing that's some tweaks with the object collision settings.

tnx!
m.rckmn.nl

Oldcode

Post by Oldcode » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:16 pm

gus wrote:Hi Marnix,

g-)

Hey Gus,

Which property in the filter daemon is the "On Collision" option? I looked for something like that when I was experimenting with the Filter Daemon but never found it. It sure would make certain things a lot easier.

Thanks in advance,

marnix@rckmn.nl

Post by marnix@rckmn.nl » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:29 pm

Oldcode wrote: Hey Gus,

Which property in the filter daemon is the "On Collision" option? I looked for something like that when I was experimenting with the Filter Daemon but never found it. It sure would make certain things a lot easier.

Thanks in advance,
i'm not Gus, but since I think you're looking for the same thing use these settings :

filter daemon:

source emitter = the emitters you want to have filtered (can be multiple)
target emitter = the emitter you want to add the filtered particles to (best to keep it 'empty' > so no speed, does need to have the same liquid settings as the source emitters)

condition > set to "on particle collision" then it will filter when particle collide with other particles and with objects.
Split > set to "yes"
and
@# child > set it to 1
m.rckmn.nl