Approximating Foam cache Size

FlorianK

Approximating Foam cache Size

Post by FlorianK » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:44 pm

Hi, is there a way or a formula I could use in order to estimate how big my foam caches will be with regards to my domain when setting foam creation to "From Domain"?

I ended up having files ~ 20GB/ frame which then filled up all my simulation cache HDDs. This is really annoying and I'd prefer estimating the amount of space before simulating.

gus
Site Admin

Re: Approximating Foam cache Size

Post by gus » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:14 am

FlorianK wrote:Hi, is there a way or a formula I could use in order to estimate how big my foam caches will be with regards to my domain when setting foam creation to "From Domain"?

I ended up having files ~ 20GB/ frame which then filled up all my simulation cache HDDs. This is really annoying and I'd prefer estimating the amount of space before simulating.
Hi Flo,

I don´t think there is a straight forward way of estimating that, but I might be wrong. Perhaps with a graph we could query the settings you are using and do it. Let us think about it.

If you could share the scene and your params we will look at it and see if there is something going wrong also.

Cheers,

g-)
...........Gus Sánchez-Pérez..........
RealFlow Product Manager
Next Limit Technologies

FlorianK

Post by FlorianK » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:20 pm

There was nothing going wrong, RF did a good job calculating tons of foam...my emission walues were a bit overdone, that was all.

gus
Site Admin

Post by gus » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:49 pm

FlorianK wrote:There was nothing going wrong, RF did a good job calculating tons of foam...my emission walues were a bit overdone, that was all.
Oh well, good to know in that case ;)
Glad you sorted it out.

g-)
...........Gus Sánchez-Pérez..........
RealFlow Product Manager
Next Limit Technologies