Daredevil - fluids revealing detailed geometry - how?

randmcnally

Daredevil - fluids revealing detailed geometry - how?

Post by randmcnally » Fri May 29, 2015 9:53 pm

I'm trying to recreate this look in Real Flow. How would you go about creating fluids that stick to the outside of the geometry to reveal their very detailed characteristics?

My first thoughts: fairly high viscosity, attractor daemons, and very high sticky on the objects themselves.
Non of my sims seem to stick though. As soon as the particles hit an objects edge they curve away from the geometry.

I'm a newbie for sure - but very curious to know how Elastic was able to have the fluid stick like they did.

Here's the clip in case you haven't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFYFh8w4758

Thanks so much!

gus
Site Admin

Re: Daredevil - fluids revealing detailed geometry - how?

Post by gus » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:56 am

Hi there,

Which solver are you using? I would assume the SPH(Liquid-Particles).
We don´t know exactly how they created that effect, but I would imagine it would be a combination of sticky/roughness/friction in the collision surfaces with surface tension + viscosity and maybe a little bit of playing on the internal/external fluid forces.

http://bit.ly/1Jl0ZTW

g-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
...........Gus Sánchez-Pérez..........
RealFlow Product Manager
Next Limit Technologies

randmcnally

Post by randmcnally » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:23 pm

Thanks for the tips, I read the following in Stash Magazine and it gave me some insight - much more complicated than I thought:

Elastic creative director Patrick Clair in Santa Monica, CA: "Marvel, Netflix and the show's production team approached Elastic to develop some concepts for the latest instalment from the Marvel Universe.

"Daredevil is a fascinating character; he wrestles with justice in a world of corruption and compromise. The story has a gritty edge, and a strong sense of place - rooted in the chaos and reconstruction of NYC's Hell's Kitchen neighborhood in the time following the disastrous events of Avengers.

"We needed to create a sequence that could set the tone for this story, and draw the audience into a world of dark morality and violent vengeance.

"I wanted to capture the creeping and insidious corruption of the world Daredevil inhabits. His story begins with a creeping liquid poison, a toxin that blinds him in his youth. A generation later, as a full grown man and fledgling superhero, Daredevil again faces a toxic and creeping force that threatens to mire his neighborhood in bloody violence and corruption.

"Of course, Daredevil, like Lady Justice, is blind - and we wanted to find a device that could capture his experience of seeing the world in a fractured, partial or obscured way.

"The idea of using a symbolic liquid, to slowly and stickily reveal the forms of iconic images from the Daredevil story felt like a natural solution. From weeping angels to the stacked decks of art deco skyscrapers, DD's world is full of religion, justice, NYC streets and muscular if broken warriors.

"Developing the right consistency and behavior of the fluids was a tricky process. Miguel Salek developed a small set of tools including custom fields and directable velocity to guide the flow of the fluids along the surfaces of the sculptures along with judiciously re-meshing various sims we linked together to get a result we were happy with.

"During look development we determined early on that the UVs that come out of RealFlow by default weren't going to give us the result we wanted in terms of getting a really grimy, dirty, poisonous look. To get around this Katie Yoon created a system using 3D projections in Maya placed around the fluid meshes to map sequences of ink and milk dripping into water to get another level of detail on top of the simulation.

"Finally on some of the sequences particularly in the city scenes we found that we needed our lead compositor, Shahana Kahn, to blend together different versions of simulated fluid mesh along with the actual sculpture geometry to get all the detail into the buildings so that they would read the way we wanted them to."

Schedule: six weeks.

For Elastic
Creative director: Patrick Clair
Designer(s): Paul Kim, Kevin Heo, Yi-Jen Liu, Henry DeLeon
Production coordinator: Kyle McIntyre
Producer: Carol Salek
Executive producer: Jennifer Sofio Hall
CG lead: Andrew Romatz
2D VFX artist: David Do
3D artists: Miguel A. Salek, Vivian Su, Katie Yoon, Erin Clarke, Kirk Shintani, Jose Limon, Jon Balcome
Compositing lead: Shahana Khan

Toolkit
ZBrush, RealFlow, Maya, V-Ray, Photoshop, After Effects, Nuke

FA1LURE

Post by FA1LURE » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:27 pm

Defeat enemies with success.

yen

Post by yen » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:44 pm

gus wrote:Hi there,

Which solver are you using? I would assume the SPH(Liquid-Particles).
We don´t know exactly how they created that effect, but I would imagine it would be a combination of sticky/roughness/friction in the collision surfaces with surface tension + viscosity and maybe a little bit of playing on the internal/external fluid forces.

http://bit.ly/1Jl0ZTW

g-)
Hi, I'm new to realflow. I had installed the realflowc4d trying to achieve the daredevil effect and I saw your "stickymockup". may I know which emitters and daemon u applied in that to achieve this? I have try different setting but couldn't achieve that. Appreciate if you can help. Thank you so much.

LuisMiguel

Post by LuisMiguel » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:46 pm

Hi,

You need to add a drag daemon and increase the sticky value for your geometry. In that way, the particles will be hold by the drag daemon and the sticky will slide over geometry surface.

luisM.