Please help with Realwave interacting with my object!

Billabong

Please help with Realwave interacting with my object!

Post by Billabong » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:20 am

I am close to putting a bullet into my computer.

I have an oil rig that sits out in the middle of the ocean. The ocean is suppose to be pretty rough, so we can splashes hitting the rig. I first tried the realwave to Hybrido tutorial from Luis Miguel. That came out like crap and you can see my problem here. So I went back to Realwave, and I cannot get any type of particle reaction from the object splash to the oil rig.

I made the oil rig and active rigid body and out a plane under it so it wouldnt sink. The realwave seems to react to it,but not like i want, but there is nothing coming from the object splash. I am uploading several screenshots as well as the file, in hopes that I can get some help with this.

Here is a video of something I am trying to achieve. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2dv57CpT-s

I would really appreciate any quick help with this as its getting down to the wire and I am getting no where. I also need to add this being done in Realflow 2013.

Thank you.

Oil rig settings

Realwave Settings

Ocean_Statistical settings

Object_Interaction_settings

Object_splash settings

Crest Splash settings

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tsn

Re: Please help with Realwave interacting with my object!

Post by tsn » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:11 pm

Hi,

That's not exactly a simple task, but I'll try to get you on the right track. It might be annoying to tell again, but what exactly speaks against Hybrido? Is it that you didn't succeed in transferring a certain wave pattern from RW to the Hybrido surface? Did you consider the graph that's actually the Ocean Force daemon's "prototype"? With this graph it's possible to add surface waves to Hybrido. It's under Help > Demo scenes > hybrido > ocean_force_field

I'd definitely go the Hybrido route, even if RealWave might appear the easier solution. In fact it's not. You will always have problems with believable foam and splashes, the number of particles, and finally simulation speed. Please let me take a look at the scene and see what I'm able to come up with. I assume you're under pressure and have a deadline, but I also need some time to find a working solution. Oil rigs in heavy sea are not trivial.

Anyway, I can think of a combined solution (Hybrido + RW) here, but let me try ;)

Cheers,
Thomas
Thomas Schlick | Next Limit Technologies

Billabong

Post by Billabong » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:32 am

Thomas,

First off, thank you so much for trying to help. I greatly appreciate it. The Hybrido route seemed to have work, when i was looking at just the particles. but once i meshed it, I noticed the splashes made no sense. They were literally being created for no reason and not even touching the actual ocean. I rendered out a basic color version of the meshes to show you. The light blue is the splashes, the white is the foam, and the slightly dark blue is obviously the ocean. If you pause the video, you can see how the splashes and even parts of the foam aren't even touching the water. This was done using Luis Miguel's tutorial, so the simulation took a few days to do, once i noticed how screwed up it was, I was pretty angry and frustrated and started looking at alternative routes.

I really want to learn and understand this program, but I'm sorry to say, that it got the best of me on this project. My initial deadline was this week, but I was able to push it to after new years.

I'm going to try again, but this time I'm only going to use to the Statistical spectrum, in Hybrido, instead of trying to project from the realwave.

Here is the link to the video: www.billa1.com/downloads/Splash.mp4

Realflow 2013 doesn't have the ocean_force_field demo scene

Thanks again Thomas

-Brandon

tsn

Post by tsn » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:23 am

Thanks Brandon. Your explanations and the video are very helpful and give me a good impression of what went wrong here. Sorry about the missing graph. I just have to dig out my RF2013 version and check if the ocean force graph can be used here, but I think it's possible. I'll try out a few things and most probably I'll get back to you with a few more questions.

-Thomas

tsn

Post by tsn » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:04 pm

Brandon,

The graph I was talking about is part of the RF2013 package, but I just mixed it up with another demo scene. For the correct scene please go to Help > Demo Scenes > graphs > surface_force_field.

Just simulate the demo to get an impression of what's happening. The graph itself and its adjustments can be found in the "Simulation Flow" panel (Ctrl + F2). Under "StepsPre" you'll find "add_surface_force". The two green graph nodes contain exactly the same settings as the ocean statistical spectrum panels from RealWave and the Hybrido domain. So, you can transfer the values you've found already. The only thing you normally have to change is vertical scale.

In contrast to other methods (RW, displacement), this graph will create physical waves by advecting the particles through forces. These waves are then able to interact with your oil rig, break and create splashes

It'll take some time to find good settings, but if you need help with a specific wave form let me know. Maybe it's a good idea to start with low particle counts first to get familiar with the workflow and settings. I have to warn you: when you do the final high-res simulation you (most probably) have to adjust forces again, because more particles will also change the results.

Once you've found a satisfying solution for the wave surface we'll go ahead with the secondaries, ok? I'm sure we'll be able to solve your problems.

Best,
Thomas

Billabong

Post by Billabong » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:36 pm

I cant thank you enough Thomas! I will start messing with this tomorrow. It may take a few days for me to get back to you with this unless I screw it up from the get go, but fingers crossed, that wont happen.

Thanks again, and ill post back as soon as I have something.

-Brandon

tsn

Post by tsn » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:17 am

Just a few additional notes on the graph. It's certainly important for you to preview the wave pattern and there's a possibility of doing this:

The graph contains "DisplayMesh_0X" nodes. When you connect them to the "Evaluator" nodes you will see the statistical spectrum. The reason why there are two spectrum nodes is that this wave type doesn't provide any velocity information. Therefore the graph takes two states from different frames and subtracts the vertex positions. This way it's possible to get a velocity and use it for the calculation of the force. If you want to adjust and preview the wave pattern without simulating it just click on the "Execute graph" button in the graph editor's icon bar (small green triangle).

A very important thing to consider here is scale. The waves will only look realistic if the entire ocean surface is large enough. Only then you will have a good ratio between the waves' size & speed, and the oil rig's dimensions. In order to scale the statistical spectrum pattern (green graph nodes), look for the "Matrix4CreateScale_01" node. Click on it and on the right you'll then find three settings for the XYZ dimensions

Billabong

Post by Billabong » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:47 pm

Got it. Thanks TSN, Will report back when i have something.

-Brandon

LuisMiguel

Post by LuisMiguel » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:23 pm

Hi,

Are you trying to make that scene with RealWave?. I think Hybrido is the best option here. The problem you had with the Hybrido to RealWave tutorial was a problem with the settings for sure. But using that tutorial is not necessary anymore as you have the ocean for field daemon to apply an statistical spectrum for your Hybrido simulations. You will need to create first an initial state for your fluid before starting to simulate fluid and geometry.

Sorry if the Realwave tutorial didn't help but it was done because RealFlow didn't have the ocean force field daemon yet. Making the scene with Hybrido you will be able to use secondaries to create the foam, splashes and all thing you need.

luisM.

Billabong

Post by Billabong » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:15 pm

@Luis, Hi Luis, Actually I'm using 2013, so no ocean force field daemon.

@Thomas,
Ok so this was my first sim with it, being the idiot that i am, forgot to add a gravity and K_Volume, so by frame 30 the particles shot off to infinity, but i wanted to show you how its going.

I am definitely getting interaction with the oil rig now as you can plainly see, I'm going to re-sim it tonight and see how it goes. 100 frames took 8 hrs. using the command line, I need to sim 456 frames for the final,lol. So that will take a while. I also need to adjust my surface offset for the rig as you can see in the second image.

I do have one question. Why doesn't the display mesh portray the splash from the oil rig, that Hybrido is actually doing?

Thanks Thomas

-Brandon
Splash

Offset

graph