Fracture crash

sneakyd

Fracture crash

Post by sneakyd » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:10 am

I am just now getting around to playing with Caronte with the latest version of 2015 and I've had it crash quite a bit. I have a model I am just doing a basic fracture on and when I go to high with the pieces count Realflow shuts down. When I say high, I mean around 100 which to me doesn't seem unreasonable. If I keep it somewhat lower <50 it seems to be more stable. Anybody else experiencing this issue? The file I am using is from Ben Watt's fallen angel Houdini tutorial in case anybody wanted to try to recreate the issue (https://vimeo.com/122217238). I exported it as .SD from Cinema4d.

LuisMiguel

Re: Fracture crash

Post by LuisMiguel » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:29 pm

Hey,

do you have the geometry to try here?

luisM.

sneakyd

Post by sneakyd » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:38 am

Sorry about not replying to this! I gave up on that project but last night I went and started to follow along with the Shattered Glass tutorial in the manual and I am running into the same issue. I used a wine glass object exported from the Cinema4d this time and low number fractures work fine but when I go up too around 100+ it crashes realflow every time. I will include my object this time to test...I tried exporting as SD and ABC with the same results.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sneakyd

Post by sneakyd » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:17 am

It must just be that specific mesh. I tried a couple other glass objects from the Cinema4d content library and they seem to work. Odd.

tsn

Post by tsn » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:58 pm

You're right, there are some mesh types which always fail with RF's fracture tools. I ran into the same problem about 2 weeks ago and I couldn't find a reason for the crashes so far. Do you get a message about degenerated triangles when importing the glass object? It might have something to do with these corrupted triangles, but I'm not 100% sure.
Thomas Schlick | Next Limit Technologies

sneakyd

Post by sneakyd » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:19 pm

I didn't get any error when I imported the glass or my original issue with the angel model. I was thinking that possibly some of the ares are too thin for the fracture tool so that could be why it would only work with a low number of pieces. If I run into the error more consistently or find a reason why it won't work on a mesh I'll report back here. Thanks!

User_Peek

Post by User_Peek » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:37 am

I've had this same problem. what worked in my case, was fracturing the fractured parts. So you fracture your geometry at a low number. And then fracture those again at a low number.

sneakyd

Post by sneakyd » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:30 am

Good idea! I will keep that in mind next time.