Waverigging node + Particle layer

sneakyd

Waverigging node + Particle layer

Post by sneakyd » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:59 pm

I need to create a wave simulation that is not based on a real beach type wave. I need to sort of have it be directable on the fly instead of building up naturally. So, I created a realwave setup using the graph editor's wave rig node and figured out how to control that for a basic wave shape to have control over. I was hoping I could use the particle layer with the wave rig so I can export the velocity data as VDB to use as velocity in a Hybrido simulation. Is the particle layer not compatible with the wave rig? I get particles that follow my normal waves but they ignore the rigged wave during the simulation. When I stop and turn the particles off and on they show up but only for a frame by frame basis, not animated. Is this doable or would anybody have another way of creating a more art directed wave?

tsn

Re: Waverigging node + Particle layer

Post by tsn » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:15 pm

Not sure if I understood everything correctly. Your main problem is that the particle layer doesn't provide any velocity information? Is that correct? If the answer is yes then it's important to know the wave deformer type in your scene. If it's an ocean statistical spectrum deformer then the answer is simply that this type doesn't provide any velocity information. The same applies to Gerstner waves.

What you can do is to calculate an artificial velocity and map it to the particles with a script or a graph. Then it's possible to create a VDB field from this information and use it with Hybrido to drive your particles, e.g. by converting the velocity field into a force field.

Here are links to my private publication called waterline magazine:

http://www.waterline.tv/downloads_01.html (velocity script)
http://www.waterline.tv/downloads_02.html (fields and graphs)

Maybe you find some inspiration there.

Cheers,
Thomas
Thomas Schlick | Next Limit Technologies

sneakyd

Post by sneakyd » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:24 pm

Sorry, I suppose I wasn't clear and got a little off track in my post. I do that a lot. :)

The issue is that the particle layer ignores the wave created by the waverigging node in my graph. The particles are working just fine with the wave deformer though. I think if this doesn't work I may try to create a custom velocity in Houdini to import as VDB to direct my hybrido simulations.

Here's a screenshot of my issue. You can see particles on the realwave but they ignore the graph's deformation. Doesn't matter if I put the graph in pre/post either.

I have read the graph's magazine and loved it. It got me to actually understand how to use custom velocity via VDB files. Great job on those.

tsn

Post by tsn » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:57 pm

Thanks for the screenshot. Much clearer now ;)

The problem here is that the graphs-driven displacement isn't recognized by the particle layer. One solution is another graph to snap the particles according to their associated vertex positions. I'm having a rough idea of how to achieve this.

Another method is a script with the RealWave01.getVertices() method. You can use the position information to displace particles. In both cases I would create a custom particle matrix at the vertex positions, instead of the particle layer function. You won't have as many particles as with the layer option, but the custom matrix is much easier to handle. And with a relatively dense RW mesh you should get enough particles.

If you need further help on this please let me now.

Cheers,
Thomas

P.S.: Great to hear that you like my magazines :D
Thomas Schlick | Next Limit Technologies

sneakyd

Post by sneakyd » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:20 pm

Ah, I see what you mean. Thanks for your suggestions! I will see what I can come up with. :)