Crash during particle mesh simulation

HellCharm

Crash during particle mesh simulation

Post by HellCharm » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:03 pm

I've been trying to get the logo of my school to fill with a colored liquid for my school assignment.

The simulation of the particle emitters went ok and I have set those to cache simulation,
however when I turn the build option on, even for only 1 of my particle meshes
(I use 1 for each of the 4 shapes so they don't interfere with each other)
the simulation crashed at around 140 frames,
I suppose it could be because the size of both my particles and my particle mesh polys is set to 0.0002, but I found when I used higher values it looked rather unrealistic and more like a blob rather than a fluid.
Anyone that can help out?

Screenshot here:
http://orig07.deviantart.net/a0ff/f/201 ... apdl5i.png

I really wanted to try a nice fluid simulation but if it doesn't work I'll just have to quickly slap something else together since the assignment is due Thursday morning :/
The plan was to be original and maybe have something nice to put on my portfolio later on (would look a lot better than just breaking the logo apart in 3DsMax like 50% of the other students are doing)

Big thanks already!
PS this is my first time using realflow so yeah, would be great if you guys could keep the solutions noob proof :mrgreen:

christianz

Re: Crash during particle mesh simulation

Post by christianz » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:04 am

Hi

your are saying the sim does not crash with larger polygon size setting in the mesh? If so, you may run out of RAM.
Another thought: try other types of mesh generation such as the Legacy Mesh instead of the vdb-mesh. This will take longer, but might be more stable. The demo edition that you are using might be limited in some ways, this I don't know.

HellCharm

Post by HellCharm » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:10 am

christianz wrote:Hi

your are saying the sim does not crash with larger polygon size setting in the mesh? If so, you may run out of RAM.
Another thought: try other types of mesh generation such as the Legacy Mesh instead of the vdb-mesh. This will take longer, but might be more stable. The demo edition that you are using might be limited in some ways, this I don't know.
I tried using the legacy mesh instead, and it does seem to work a lot better but after 2h I only had 7 out of my 160 frames calculated
(although this time it is actually showing the calculated mesh like with the larer polygon size, it wasn't with the smaller size)
plus it always says program not responding at the top of the window but when I try doing something it will go out of this state for a few seconds, any idea what my issues might be?
I am running this on a hp Zbook laptop with 16GB of ram.

christianz

Post by christianz » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:37 am

Well, I think in the end you have to adapt the polygon size in a way that your hardware can handle the animation in time. When you have a deadline, some corner cutting is needed.
16GB RAM is ok but not a lot. Running the meshing in command line mode (is this possible in the demo?) needs less memory.

HellCharm

Post by HellCharm » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:20 am

christianz wrote:Well, I think in the end you have to adapt the polygon size in a way that your hardware can handle the animation in time. When you have a deadline, some corner cutting is needed.
16GB RAM is ok but not a lot. Running the meshing in command line mode (is this possible in the demo?) needs less memory.
The command line mode seems to be working wonders ^^ big thanks, I'll keep you update on how it goes!