binary loader meshing now needs a copy of all files

snarx

binary loader meshing now needs a copy of all files

Post by snarx » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:06 pm

Hello,

This is in Realflow2012 v6.0.1.0070 (03 october 2011), on Windows 7 64bit.

Realflow 2012 introduced a bug in binary_loader and N_binary_loader.
In order to use them to create a mesh, we now have to create a cache (thus create a copy on hard drives).
To produce that cache we have to simulate the scene again, even if Realflow only have to read and write the bin data that is already there.

Let's say we have a scene where we create a binary_loader to use a previous simulation (called "test01").
We get a node which points to the "test01.bin" files on disk.
And in the export central we have the binary_loader01 whith his suffix "binary_loader01".
As we have to cache them, we do a "simulate", which allows to create a mesh that will use bin files from binary_loader01 (whith suffix "binary_loader01"), and not the onces in "test01".

In a new scene, I want to reuse simulation "test01".
As it's the 3rd binary loader in that scene, it is called binary_loader03 (same as its suffix).

If I want to create a mesh, I will have to simulate it once again (it is now 3 times on the hard disk).

A workaround would be to rename all binary loaders, but it would involve syncing with all other artists, and would be less practical than on previous Realflow versions.

And there is more.
In order to simulate and produce a cache, I need to empty the global link and the exclusive link (or it would be too slow).
If in my scene I have a direct simulation (square01 for example) that I need to keep (because it needed 1 hour of processing), I need to be very cautious to NOT do a simulate, or I will lose it.

It seems this is related to that bug :
http://www.realflowforum.com/view_topic.php?id=8476

Any thoughts ?

Thanks.

LuisMiguel

Re: binary loader meshing now needs a copy of all files

Post by LuisMiguel » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:02 pm

Hey!

As you said, it is a bug and sorry for that. There is a workaround to make the mesh and it is creating a new scene and creating a binaryloader loading the particles. Next, try to create a mesh and simulating the scene instead of creating the mesh with the "create mesh" button.

I hope it helps.

luisM.

snarx

Re: binary loader meshing now needs a copy of all files

Post by snarx » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:12 am

Thank you.