Hybrido grid's Limits

FlorianK

Hybrido grid's Limits

Post by FlorianK » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:12 pm

Hola,

in my scene, there is a large Hybrido Container:

23 Mio particles @ 0.176 Cell size, 317/56/1131, Resolution: 20 Million.
I am running the sim on a Dual Intel X5690 with 24GB RAM, Win7 x64, Quadro 5500

I tried simulating with even more resolution, but this only resulted in Realflow calculating for a felt eternity and then either:

a) starting to fill the frame progress bar...filling, switching to frame 2...but not rendering any particles in the viewport. Anyway, the calculation went on to the subsequent frame. I looked into the folder where the GDC files are to be exported, but there was nothing written for any of the frames, even though the simulation went on with no particles visible.

(WILDLY GUESSING THE REASON:) I think there could be a problem with the size of the files RF's trying to write. While Realflow is bravely calculating, it cannot write a file that large and therfore no particles are visible? Could that be? If so, it was nice to have a warning message in the future if similar thing come up.

b) calculating, sometimes more, sometimes less (as far as the Task Manager told me) but not starting to thow anything in the frame progress bar....until I killed the process because I think this won't lead anywhere.

c) work as it is supposed to. I made some iterations in order to find a Resolution value that seemed to be working. Interestingly, 20 Mio is ok, whereas 30 Mio results in the behavior described under point a. I didn't try 25 Mio, because the change in Cell size was just marginal.

In RF 2013, is it possible to have something like a verbose mode in the Messages window? So one could see what Realflow is actually doing and maybe tell from that behaviour if it is woth waiting for the simulation to continue or if killing the process and trying a different solution was a better idea.

Now, I call it a day and I look forward to seeing nice blue particles after the weekend.