Texturing BIN files

Post here anything related to RealFlow that doesn't specifically belong in any of the forums below
NYCHooligan

Texturing BIN files

Post by NYCHooligan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:34 pm

How much is proper texturing reliant on particle resolution?

Seems I get a lot of anomalies and artifacting on BIN meshes in MAx that come from a simulation with a lower particle resolution. Is this an expected situation?

Thanks,
R

LuisMiguel

Re: Texturing BIN files

Post by LuisMiguel » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:26 pm

Hi,

Do you mean you have artifacts when rendering or displaying meshes on viewport?. Are you using Vray 3.4? If so, there is a bug in Vray which is displaying in a wrong way the vertex index. It is fixed in Vray 3.5x.

luisM.

NYCHooligan

Post by NYCHooligan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:45 am

The artifacts happen while rendering. It seems the higher I boost my particle resolution, the less of this texture artifacts I get. Should I expect a difference rendering a BIN that was generated by an emitter with a particle resolution of 1 as opposed to rendering a BIN from an emitter with a particle resolution of 50??

Thanks!

tsn

Post by tsn » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:42 am

NYCHooligan wrote:Should I expect a difference rendering a BIN that was generated by an emitter with a particle resolution of 1 as opposed to rendering a BIN from an emitter with a particle resolution of 50??
Absolutely! And with a resolution of 100 you'll get even better results. The number of particles makes the difference and it's a simple rule: the more particles, the better the final mesh, because you'll see more details. The mesher connects the particles through spheres and blends them. If the distance between the particles is very large these spheres have to be big and you'll get some kind of "approximation" with artifacts.

Dyverso is very fast, so it's no problem to simulate with several hundreds of thousands of particles. Of course you have to wait longer, but you'll be rewarded with (much) better simulations and meshes.

Cheers,
Thomas
Thomas Schlick | Next Limit Technologies

NYCHooligan

Post by NYCHooligan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:14 pm

Thomas, I understand the idea about more particles/better mesh, however, my question relates specifically to the texturing of a BIN mesh. The artifacts I notice seem to be caused by texture/UVW issues. Do particle resolutions affect texture integrity?

tsn

Post by tsn » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:04 am

Ah, Ok. Thanks for the clarification. I somehow missed that.

The mesh UVs are created from the particles (they carry the UV information), so they're responsible for the final look of the textures. Did you try to change mapping with the Texture Gizmo daemon? It might be worth trying - perhaps with a simple scene first. The most important parameter there is "Texture at frame" and here's how to use it

http://support.nextlimit.com/display/rf ... ture+Gizmo
Thomas Schlick | Next Limit Technologies

NYCHooligan

Post by NYCHooligan » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:18 pm

The bitmap applied to this BIN mesh inside RealFlow and in 3DSMax looks pixelated... somewhat like a mosaic with little squares representing the texture. It almost looks like each little square is in the right "texture space" but perhaps rotated the wrong way. Perhaps the UV's aren't taking to the particles correctly?

However, when I bring a Max mesher object into 3dsmax and load the .rpc particle sequence, when I apply the same texture to it, it displays correctly and renders correctly. This would be a solution however, I'm unable to save a max scene with this particular mesher object in the scene. Max throws an error and the saved file becomes corrupt. I'm using this mesher because it seems to be the only one that will work with Vray, (max 2016 btw although tried it in 2017 with the same results.)

Is this mesher incompatible with my versions of Max? Am I missing something when meshing the particles in RealFlow to achieve a mesh that retains the textures integrity?

Any help would be great.

NYCHooligan

Post by NYCHooligan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:43 pm

Turns out that I had a corrupt file. I've successfully handled the issue, but it did involve completely recreating the setup in a fresh file. Frustrating but glad to know it's not a RealFlow limitation.

NYCHooligan

Post by NYCHooligan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:52 pm

I still am curious about what the deal is with the Max Mesher, however... is it obsolete?