Dyverso - Caronte Explosions

Post here anything related to RealFlow that doesn't specifically belong in any of the forums below
hmercado

Dyverso - Caronte Explosions

Post by hmercado » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:55 pm

Hi,
Just to see if anyone has an idea of what could be causing this.

I have set up a simple hybrido scene to splash and wash away some rigid bodies, but some of the rigid bodies (the smaller ones so far) are exploding (popping like pop corn :P) just after they make contact with the fluid.

I have set the caronte settings quality and jitter to 100, and diverso PBD solver min and max substeps at 6. I am also simulating at 240f/s

Here is a link to the video preview:
http://www.hamercado.com/realflow/rb-explosion.mp4

Any thoughts and ideas on how to fix it greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Alex
Site Admin

Re: Dyverso - Caronte Explosions

Post by Alex » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:49 am

Hi,

can you try to increase the mass (or density) of the tiny toruses?

It's probably some particles "pinned" below the torus, but it might help. Also check out the torus volume to see if it is precise enough.

By the way. Do not set Caronte quality to 100. Use the default settings reduced to something like 30 or so.
Alex Ribao
RealFlow Team
Next Limit Technologies

hmercado

Post by hmercado » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:30 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
I have tried different settings for mass on the toruses. Higher mass made them too heavy and the liquid would not move them. With lower mass settings I was expecting them to float but they explode as you saw in the video. For the volume I was using something like 0.02 which made the isosurface look pretty accurate. Maybe I could try 0.01

I have set up the same scene with Hybrido and is working a lot better with no explosions. Will post the finish version later.

Thanks.

hmercado

Post by hmercado » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:31 am

Hi,
Here is the sim with Hybrido which seems to work better in this case.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I81wDwaQJkk

I tried to simulate more frames to fill the container more and see if everything actually floats but when I tried to continue the simulation from the last frame the objects would snap back/reset to their initial position at frame 0. :?

I am using the option "Use cache" in the command line, but I am getting that problem with the objects resetting to their position at frame 0.

I also tried to make an initial state for the rigid bodies at the last simulated frame but realflow hangs even if I try to do it with only one object.

What is the proper way to continue the simulation for rigid bodies?

Thanks

Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:38 am

Hi again,

thanks for sharing your current sim, it really looks cool. :)

In principle you are not doing anything wrong.

While we try to troubleshoot the issue here, can you check out a couple of things, please?
The teapots and toruses, are they simple objects or multibodies?
What kind of files are you exporting right now? Including animation.sd and BDC files.

Sorry for the inconvenience
Alex Ribao
RealFlow Team
Next Limit Technologies

hmercado

Post by hmercado » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:12 pm

The teapots and toruses were imported with the "Object..." import option, not Multibodies.
I am exporting the ANIMATION.SD and CACHE.bdc as well as the Animaion.sd file for every object and the Wetmap textures for the teapots which did not work for me :( (all 3 wetmap textures rendered pure black).

Thanks

Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:15 pm

I see...

A quick test with the same export settings works for me. The initial state for a torus is properly generated.

Regarding wetmaps, they are only compatible with Dyverso and standard particles, sorry.

There are a some workarounds. My favourite is this one:
  • Create a Dyverso domain.
  • Set it to Cache mode.
  • Set the Hybrido domain to Inactive.
  • Set the objects to Cache mode. (Important!)
  • Make the Dyverso domain node files point to the Hybrido simulation RPC files.
  • Connect the objects to the Dyverso domain.
  • You can actually use a different copy of the scene for this process, to avoid too much cluttering.
After simulating, the wetmaps should be finally there.

On a side note, I made some quick test using only Dyverso for the simulation. (RealFlow 10 only)
I get some decent behaviour and sim times. This is using the new Rigid material for a second Dyverso domain. A playblast:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-dk8B ... sp=sharing

Being told that, this approach has a similar issue. The wetmaps cannot be computed in a single pass. I can elaborate more in the reason if necessary, but short answer is that a second pass with the same workflow should generate the proper wetmaps.

You can find attached the example scene.
testLiquidSolidDy.flw.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alex Ribao
RealFlow Team
Next Limit Technologies

hmercado

Post by hmercado » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:13 pm

Thank you so much.

I will try to generate the wet maps that way.
I just installed realflow 10 demo so I will try that as well.

I cannot see or download the attached file :(
It says I don't have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:02 pm

While we try to fix the permissions issue, you should be able to get a copy of the file here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-dk8B ... sp=sharing
Alex Ribao
RealFlow Team
Next Limit Technologies

hmercado

Post by hmercado » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:30 pm

I could not download from google drive either. I says "The page isn’t redirecting properly"
I tried a similar scene but my toruses are sinking :(
How do you control the mass of the objects then? With the Dyverso Rigid domain density?