RealWave OSS corner ripple issue

Post here anything related to RealFlow that doesn't specifically belong in any of the forums below
Frosty3d

RealWave OSS corner ripple issue

Post by Frosty3d » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:02 am

I have a Realwave object with OSS applied. I am getting issues on the corners of the Realwave surface where there appears to be some weird rippling.
This does seem to fade when I decrease the dimension field in the OSS (currently on 5000). I'm rendering a large ocean shot and need to scale/distance so I'm very reluctant to change the dimension field as, aside from the rippling on the corners, it is giving me the result I am after.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tsn

Re: RealWave OSS corner ripple issue

Post by tsn » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:33 am

Hi Frosty3D,

We're not 100% sure what causes this issue, but it might be a limitation in how the spectrum is computed. Anyway, I've tried a few setups and parameter combinations. The bad news is that I didn't succeed in removing the artifacts completely, but at least they are by far not so obvious with the settings from the attachment.

The most important parameter was "Wind Direction". The closer it's to 90°, the better the result. Increasing "Wind Speed" can also help, and so does moderate tiling ("Repeat U/V"). The size of the ocean in the screenshot is 20m x 20m, polygon size is 0.05. It also depends a bit on the point of view how strong the effect turns out.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Thomas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thomas Schlick | Next Limit Technologies