RealFlow10: fix elastic particle objects to ground and related issues

Post here anything related to RealFlow that doesn't specifically belong in any of the forums below
FSchmidt

RealFlow10: fix elastic particle objects to ground and related issues

Post by FSchmidt » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:08 am

Hi, I'm simulating rigid objects hitting elastic particle objects using the Dyverso solver. The results look very nice but I have two remaining questions that I could not figure out:
1) Is there a way to fix an elastic particle object to the ground (or some other object)? The multijoint-tool seems to grab just a few particles, and a local gravity field at the bottom of the elastic object (at least how I implemented it) sucks all of the particles down thereby collapsing the object.
2) What parameter should I use to let the object stop wobbling after some time? I tried different variants, and it seems that when using a lot of particles (which I have to do to let particles settle to all the fine details of my objects) I did not find the relevant parameters for that.
3) Related to the previous questions: is it possible to simulate an object like a tree with its branches sagging under gravity without the whole thing collapsing. Again, I did not seem to find the relevant parameters to find the sweet spot.
Thanks, all the best, Filipp

Thomas Schlick

Re: RealFlow10: fix elastic particle objects to ground and related issues

Post by Thomas Schlick » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:17 am

Not sure if this is still relevant for you, but I want to give an answer anyway, because other users might be interested as well:

1. Dyverso doesn't support external constraints at the moment. We're aware of this limitation and it will certainly be resolved, but I can't give any ETA. MultiJoints only work in conjunction with Caronte rigid/soft bodies, not with Dyverso, because both are based on totally different concepts.
2. Wobbling can be suppressed through the "Damping" parameter in the DyElastics domain. It can be necessary to use rather high settings of 10 or more. In order to reduce bounciness you can also decrease the collision object's "DY Bounce" parameter.
3. Same answer as 1. Even with Caronte it's not easy (maybe even impossible) to achieve this behaviour, because you actually need a vertex map to define different zones of "softness".

FSchmidt

Re: RealFlow10: fix elastic particle objects to ground and related issues

Post by FSchmidt » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:47 am

Ok, although it is not what I had hoped for, thanks for the response. All the best, Filipp