Default variables and paths

Post here anything related to RealFlow that doesn't specifically belong in any of the forums below
Linwood Brummett

Default variables and paths

Post by Linwood Brummett » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:42 am

What would the method be to change the default paths and variables? It would be useful to have our rfs files on one volume, but have the intermediates and alembics written elsewhere without, having to set the export paths each and every time.

Thank you!

Thomas Schlick

Re: Default variables and paths

Post by Thomas Schlick » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:20 am

Hi Linwood,

RealFlow supports a wide variety of environment variables, but none of them is suited to spread simulation files over different directories or volumes. You can change the default project folder with $RFSCENESPATH, but not the individual folders.

My first idea was therefore a batch script that's attached to RF's shelves to change the export resources of the current scene with a single click. But I'll also ask our developers if they're aware of another solution.

Cheers,
Thomas
Last edited by Thomas Schlick on Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Linwood Brummett

Post by Linwood Brummett » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:14 pm

First, I should probably disclose that I am not Lin, I'm one of his employees. It'd be nice if I could get my own login for the forum.

At any rate. Yes, that could work. I do have a $LOCAL_CACHE environment variable already on my workstation, and I had tested this with my local cache storage already. Adding a script to change the the paths all at once shouldn't be too much of a problem. Just change from the project path variable to the proper location.

Let me know if there is a better solution.

-Shawn Kearney-

Thomas Schlick

Post by Thomas Schlick » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:03 pm

Please get in touch with our support if you need your own forum account.

According to our developers a script appears to be the best and most flexible solution right now. Anyway, if anyone should come up with a new idea I'll let you know of course.

Shawn Kearney

Post by Shawn Kearney » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:20 pm

Thank you Thomas!

We all have our own logins now. I will start on our integration scripts shortly. Thank you for your help!