Issue importing alembic from Lightwave

Post here anything related to RealFlow that doesn't specifically belong in any of the forums below
Wyll Yoder

Issue importing alembic from Lightwave

Post by Wyll Yoder » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:45 pm

I'm trying to import an alembic file from Lightwave to RealFlow 10, but I must be doing something incorrectly. The animation will play on my imported object, but it will also rotate wildly while it does. So rather than come into frame and land, it comes into frame doing flips and then continues to spin around on the ground for the rest of the animation. Am I doing something wrong when importing?

The model is broken in to three pieces, the body and each wing, but I've tried importing it as a whole and each piece individually with no change. Both importing as an object and multibody give the same result.

Thomas Schlick

Re: Issue importing alembic from Lightwave

Post by Thomas Schlick » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:59 pm

From a distance it's very hard to tell what's going on there. Is it possible to let us see the Alembic? If not, maybe you're able to create a very basic scene with just a few cubes or spheres instead, and send this to us?

Wyll Yoder

Post by Wyll Yoder » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:13 pm

Absolutely! Should I send the RealFlow scene file or just screenshots? I'm using the demo version, i'm not sure if that will make much of a difference though.

Thomas Schlick

Post by Thomas Schlick » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:14 pm

If you could send me the Alembic file please... Thanks! You can also send me a download link via PM.

Thomas Schlick

Post by Thomas Schlick » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:13 am

I've checked the file, but can't see a RealFlow issue here, because I've loaded the file to Cinema 4D and Clarisse as well and observed exactly the same strange behaviour. And, from my experience, both tools' Alembic importers are really robust. I'm afraid it's an issue with LW's Alembic exporter. Did you try to reimport the ABC to LW? What happens then?

Wyll Yoder

Post by Wyll Yoder » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:17 pm

I just did, and you're right, it's still doing it. I'm not sure what could be causing it, though. It's difficult to find any helpful documentation or videos about LW's Alembic exporter. I'll attach a screenshot of the export settings in case it makes more sense to you than it does to me. From my understanding Ogawa is the optimal format for Alembic files, and exporting as HDF5 didn't seem to make much of a difference.
Screen Shot 2017-12-15 at 11.15.12 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas Schlick

Post by Thomas Schlick » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:48 am

I'm very sorry, but this appears to be a question for LW's tech support. Just one thing about the difference between Ogawa and HDF5: Ogawa is much faster and produces smaller files.