Mesh generation slower in command line

Post here anything related to RealFlow that doesn't specifically belong in any of the forums below
Orlando Esponda

Mesh generation slower in command line

Post by Orlando Esponda » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:32 am

Hello,

I know it's faster to simulate fluids via command line so I thought it was the same for the mesh generation process, but my tests show a different result: Meshing from within the interface using the Build Mesh Sequence button generates a new mesh in around 22-24 seconds, while using the command line takes around 2:02 minutes. Is this the expected behavior? or maybe I'm missing some settings to speed up the process via command line?

I'm meshing a Dyverso fluid with a VDB Mesh. I'm using Relaxation and Tension mesh filters, and Smooth volume filter.

Thanks for any help,
Orlando.

Thomas Schlick

Re: Mesh generation slower in command line

Post by Thomas Schlick » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:16 am

No, that's not the expected behaviour. I can only guess, but I seems that your CL simulation does not only do the meshing, but also the Dyverso part. Open the "Command Line Options" and check the "Mesh" otpion:

http://support.nextlimit.com/display/rf ... imulations and jump to "Meshing".

Orlando Esponda

Post by Orlando Esponda » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:50 pm

Thanks for answering Thomas,

Unfortunately I'm not simulating the Dyverso particles: I switched to cache the domain and also set the arguments to meshing. Is there something else that could be causing this behavior?

Orlando.

Thomas Schlick

Post by Thomas Schlick » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:12 pm

Very difficult to tell from a distance without having access to the scene.

Btw, you don't have to switch the domain to cache when you're just meshing. Meshing is kind of a playback job. Justing thinking loudly: what happens when you set the domain to "Active" again and try to mesh again via the CL?

Orlando Esponda

Post by Orlando Esponda » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:22 pm

I switched the domain to cache to ensure it would be ignored (to avoid any user error hehe).

I think I found the culprit: I had a second mesh in my scene. This one had visibility off, build set to no. I thought setting build to off the meshing would be ignored but seems like this setting has no effect when meshing using the command line (at least in my scene). I wasn't actually using this mesh at all, it was a previous test that I wanted to keep around just in case. I deleted the mesh and now I'm getting almost the same time per frame when meshing: command line 44 seconds (consistent in the 3 frames I tested) and from the GUI (disabling the viewports and using the "Build Mesh Sequence" button) test first frame took 1:15 minutes, second frame 43 seconds and third frame 40 seconds.

I wouldn't expect this behavior if one of the meshes was set to not build, but at least I have some similar results now.

Sorry for the noise,
Orlando.

Thomas Schlick

Post by Thomas Schlick » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:49 pm

Thanks for letting me know. In fact you're right: an inactive/disabled mesh shouldn't affect the meshing process and it sounds like a bug. I'll try to reproduce this error and file a bug report then.

Happy Simulating,
Thomas