Alembic export data type

Post here anything related to RealFlow that doesn't specifically belong in any of the forums below
Thomas Schlick

Re: Alembic export data type

Post by Thomas Schlick » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:33 am

@ Orlando

My colleague has asked the guy who shared the tip on resetting FPS with stitched Alembics, but IMHO his explanation doesn't make too much sense. He says that it's necessary ro reset FPS before stitching the files, but I can't see a point in that. The stitcher is an external tool, it can even be used with via terminal and has actually nothing to do with RF. It also doesn't read out a scene's FPS settings. It just takes files and combines them. The stitcher is nothing RF-specific and can be used with *any* Alembic source. The only thing I can imagine is the lack of a Xform object in RF's Alembic files, where the FPS rate is stored.

Orlando Esponda

Re: Alembic export data type

Post by Orlando Esponda » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:30 am

Thanks Thomas,

I agree, it doesn't make sense. At first I thought That changing the FPS would modify the velocity info on the fly (assuming the mesh gets its velocity values averaging from the near points), but doing that made no difference at all in my tests. I don't really know where he got this conclusion from, but it doesn't work for me hehe.

Fortunately I can manipulate this data in Houdini, so no worries (I do prefer working with Houdini than Maya, so this is my perfect excuse to switch the DCC without complains from my colleagues ;)

Thanks again,
Orlando.