Dilate / Erode Volume Filters

Post here anything related to RealFlow that doesn't specifically belong in any of the forums below
Orlando Esponda

Dilate / Erode Volume Filters

Post by Orlando Esponda » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:09 pm

Hello,

I've been trying to use these two filters to close small gaps (something I learnt from Houdini) but unfortunately these two filters take a lot of time to compute, but the manual says they (all three volume filters) are very fast, so I'm a bit confused to be honest. The smooth filter is actually very very fast, but Erode and Dilate filters are simply unusable on my side. For instance, a mesh that takes around 5 seconds per frame to generate, goes up to 30 minutes when adding a Dilate filter (with default values). All this time the cpu is working at 100%. This doesn't seem right.

Is there anything I should take in account before adding these filters? Are they somehow broken?

Thanks for any help,
Orlando.

Thomas Schlick

Re: Dilate / Erode Volume Filters

Post by Thomas Schlick » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:57 am

There's definitely something wrong, and 30 mins are way too long. Is it the first time you're using the volume filters or did they work with other scenes already? Did you try them with a very basic mesh?

It might be that parts of the OpenVDB library are corrupted or can't be accessed. Would you mind reinstalling RF? Otherwise I ask for the scene to see what's happening inside - or to compare at least how the filters perform on other machines. I, for myself, haven't had any issues with erode and dilate so far, and you're the first user with problems I'm hearing of.

Orlando Esponda

Post by Orlando Esponda » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:47 pm

Hi Thomas,

This is actually the second time I try those filters... first time the mesh was more complex and I assumed that was the cause. This time is a very simple scene and the behavior is the same as before.

I'll try reinstalling RF and let you know if that fixes the issues. Forgot to mention I'm on Fedora 27... could this be related?

Orlando

PS. Sorry for the delay but I forgot to subscribe to the topic, which IMO should be done automatically for the OP of a topic. I haven't found any settings to do this and I always forget to subscribe.

duke3d

Post by duke3d » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:25 am

I have similar problem with Dilate filter. It's very slow. Sometimes it takes 30 minutes or even more.

Thomas Schlick

Post by Thomas Schlick » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:42 am

Fedora could be the reason for these problems, but I'm not sure, and I hope that a fresh installation will fix this issue. The OpenVDB filters are very fast - even with big meshes. Otherwise please let me know and we'll try to reproduce this problem on our own machines. At least it's reproducible on your side and it sounds as if you have trouble with any mesh. Would be interesting to know if the Hybrido OpenVDB mesh fails as well. Particle and Hybrido OpenVDB meshes use exactly the same library and Hybrido meshes should show the same problem.

When you create a forum topic you have an "Options" tab right below where you can tick "Notify me when a reply is posted". This should work actually. At least I do hope so ;)

Thomas Schlick

Post by Thomas Schlick » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:55 am

Since you both have problems with these filters could you please share your mesh settings? If you have any scenes - even better!