delete stray particles

Post here anything related to RealFlow that doesn't specifically belong in any of the forums below
Rod Ross

delete stray particles

Post by Rod Ross » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:55 pm

I am trying to delete stray particles but when I do they just come back when I move the time slider. What do I need to do after I delete the particles?
Thanks for your help

Thomas Schlick

Re: delete stray particles

Post by Thomas Schlick » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:36 am

Could you please share more information on your scene?

Are you using standard particles, Dyverso or Hybrido? And how do you remove the particles? Perhaps with the particle selection tool, or a script? I'm asking, because this reads as if you're talking about removing particles from a cached simulation.

Rod Ross

Post by Rod Ross » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:18 pm

yes with the particle selection tool. Is there a way to delete particles from a cached simulation? Say the whole simulation is great but I have 1 stray particle on several frames that I want to get rid of. Do I have to redo the whole simulation?

Thomas Schlick

Post by Thomas Schlick » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:00 am

The particle selection tool only works in conjunction with standard particles, Dyverso + Hybrido aren't affected. But there's a method to delete individual particles manually, although it's a bit cumbersome:

First of all you have to identify the IDs of the particles you want to get rid of, for example with the "Particle Tooltip". Then you apply a batch script, and execute it for every frame, where the particles appear. I've written this script a while ago, and if you're interested just let me know. If the simulation is not too big then it's certainly faster and easier to re-simulate.

Cached simulations are kind of locked and all the data is stored in the cache files. There's a tool named "Sparta" (spartaproject.com) that is able to process cached files and manipulate them, but there's no such (complex) tool in RealFlow. The drawback with Sparta is that it only supports RF's BIN format.