Create a wetmap using cache ?

Post here anything related to RealFlow that doesn't specifically belong in any of the forums below
Thomas Schlick

Re: Create a wetmap using cache ?

Post by Thomas Schlick » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:15 am

I simulated your scene this morning, although I had to do a few adjustments. The simulation time on the CPU was 9 m 20 s for 365 frames. Then I've activated wetmaps for the plastic cup, set the fluid to cache and re-simulated: this process took 1 m 10 s - roughly 1/8th. My machine is an old MacPro. I also have a PC with a good GPU (which is currently rendering) and here I expect times of around 1 m for the fluid and approx. 30-40 sec. for the wetmaps.

I'm not sure what causes these ultra long simulation times on your computer, but it might be related to the huge plane, esp. in conjunction with the GPU. One of the first things I did was to remove the plane and substitute it through a much smaller cube with some thickness.

Below there's my scene for download if you want to take a look. The results are certainly not what you're looking for. I've just analysed the file and it simulated normally on my computer.

http://bit.ly/2GFomtJ

virtual_francky

Re: Create a wetmap using cache ?

Post by virtual_francky » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:09 am

Thanks Thomas, I dont understand too, because I simulated several times, and after a few sim, it began to become slower, until the last sim that took 7h for the 600 Frames.
My PC is a 8 cores/16threads intel, with a GTX 1080, and I had CUDA activated. I will download your scene, and take a look when I will be back home later this week.
Thank you for having a look.