Cant't get any displacement

Post here anything related to RealFlow that doesn't specifically belong in any of the forums below
Ingvar Hulterstrom

Cant't get any displacement

Post by Ingvar Hulterstrom » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:03 pm

So, I have a hybrido domain that creates displacement maps, and I've tested them in Maxwell render (displacement layer in a water material) and they work fine. But when I try to create a mesh - doesn't matter if it's hybrido vdb or not - I don't get any displacement at all. I've tried everything I can think of, but still no luck.

This is hopefully something I'm doing wrong, but I can't for the life of me think of what it might be.

Any thoughts?

Ingvar Hulterstrom

Thomas Schlick

Re: Cant't get any displacement

Post by Thomas Schlick » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:37 pm

Hi Ingvar,

Could you please send me a basic scene where the displacement didn't work? Maybe it's really just a switch, but it's difficult to say without knowing what you've turned on or off. Otherwise your scene will be helpful for debugging.

Thanks,
Thomas

Ingvar Hulterstrom

Post by Ingvar Hulterstrom » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:19 am

Thanks. I tried to send a file, but how do I do it? When I try to attach a scene file to the pm get an error message (invalid file-extension).

Sincerely,

Ingvar Hulterstrom

Thomas Schlick

Post by Thomas Schlick » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:29 pm

Sorry for the inconvenience. Could you please send the file via a hoster (Wetransfer, Google, Dropbox, etc.)?

Thomas Schlick

Post by Thomas Schlick » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:29 pm

Good news Ingvar! Everything works correctly and I was able to get the displacement from your simulation.

Hybrido meshes take the Hybrido domain's viewport icon into consideration - that's a square with 4 small cubes at the edges. This icon acts in two ways: 1. mesh parts below and outside the square will be clipped and 2. as a scale for the displacement structure. In your scene the scale was good, but the square was sitting above the particles. As a consequence, the entire mesh was clipped. In the screenshot you can see a part of the the clipping plane and one of the mentioned cubes displayed in green. The quality of the mesh is pretty coarse here, because I've decreased cell size for my tests. With more particles you'll get better results.

clipping_plane_hy_domain.jpg

But you also had the mesh's extension turned on at the same time. This is why you got a mesh, or better: a surface, but no displacement. So, I've turned off the extension option. Finally I've increased the HY domain's Ocean Statistical Spectrum > Vertical Scale to 0.4 to see the wave structure.

If you need my modified scene just let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ingvar Hulterstrom

Post by Ingvar Hulterstrom » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:37 pm

Ahh...that sounds perfect. I'm always very happy with user error:-) The last time I had what I hoped was a user error in Maxwell render it was a serious interface error in the 3ds plugin interface - and that's still not fixed, so that project has been waiting for a while now.

Thank you very much for you help!

Sincerely,

Ingvar Hulterstrom