network/simnode, how to

Post here anything related to RealFlow that doesn't specifically belong in any of the forums below
dermesut

network/simnode, how to

Post by dermesut » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:44 am

hi,

i have no network-sim experience whatsoever, so bare with me, please.
i'm in possesion of a rf10 nodelocked-licence with which comes a simnode license.

so, is the following scenario possible:
run rf10 on my workstation, do my project. send a simulation to another pc in my network on which the simnode licence is installed and let that pc, and only that pc, do the simulation.
while it does that, i'd want to keep on working in rf on the project on my workstation and also be able to do simulations within realflow as part of the tweaking-process.

is that possible with my given licence-situation?

Thomas Schlick

Re: network/simnode, how to

Post by Thomas Schlick » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:03 pm

Sorry, but that's not possible. Firstly, you have a node-locked license and this means it's tied to a certain computer. The possibility to use a standard license as a node was meant for users with multiple standard licenses: in this case you can bring in these computers as additional nodes without having to purchase separate node licenses.

dermesut

Post by dermesut » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:40 pm

thx for your response.

sorry, but i am not sure i understand.
i have 1 standard license + 1 simnode license.
is the simnode license not for the purpose of having another computer in my lan act as a simulation node?
i also have a maxwell license with some rendernode licenses. those rendernode licenses allow me to add other computers in my lan to the renderjob, so the result is being rendered faster due to more cpu power.
i would have thought it's the same concept with the additional simnode license for realflow, but in this case not for rendering but for simulations? isn't that the case? if not, what is the simnode license good for?

Thomas Schlick wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:03 pm
Sorry, but that's not possible. Firstly, you have a node-locked license and this means it's tied to a certain computer. The possibility to use a standard license as a node was meant for users with multiple standard licenses: in this case you can bring in these computers as additional nodes without having to purchase separate node licenses.

Thomas Schlick

Post by Thomas Schlick » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:45 pm

In this case please get in touch with our sales department. As far as I know the standard license can be used as a GUI or a node license, but not both at the same time on different computers. Anyway, maybe this changed in the meantime.
if not, what is the simnode license good for?
As said, if you have several GUI licenses you can also use them as nodes for network simulations without having to purchase dedicated licenses. So you're free to decide whether you want to use RF as GUI or node.

Michael DeSantis

Post by Michael DeSantis » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:19 pm

I'm in the same situation. What do you actually do with the simnode license file?

I installed Realflow on the machine I want to help with simulations, but it wouldn't accept the simnode license file. There's not much help in the realflow manual either. It doesn't get into enough detail about exactly how to set it up. It's kind of vague, actually.