Nothing in Top Viewport will move on Y-Axis

Post here anything related to RealFlow that doesn't specifically belong in any of the forums below
Rob Holmes

Nothing in Top Viewport will move on Y-Axis

Post by Rob Holmes » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:55 am

This is embarrassingly simple I'm sure but I'm new to RF and I can't get anything to move on the Y-Axis in the TOP viewport. The manipulator will allow me to move the red X-Axis but the green Y-Axis is as if it's locked. I can't move any kind of object, native or imported. I've spent two hours searching the web and this forum for some keystroke or simple thing to allow the movement. I can't seem to find anything.

What am I overlooking?
RealFlow 10, 3ds Max 2020, ASUS Z10PE-D8WS Motherboard,
Xeon E5-2650-V3 Dual Processor, Dual Hydro H80i CPU Chiller, 64 GB DDR4 Ram,
NVidia RTX 2080 Ti, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 10 10586, Dual Monitor, Cintiq 13HD

Rob Holmes

Re: Nothing in Top Viewport will move on Y-Axis

Post by Rob Holmes » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:28 am

It's been nearly a year now and I still have the same issue. In a top or front view, I can't move anything on the Y axis. Anyone out there? Any suggestions? In a side view I can move and x and z. So the issue is related to the y axis. It's locked. I can't find any parameter that locks or unlocks it.
RealFlow 10, 3ds Max 2020, ASUS Z10PE-D8WS Motherboard,
Xeon E5-2650-V3 Dual Processor, Dual Hydro H80i CPU Chiller, 64 GB DDR4 Ram,
NVidia RTX 2080 Ti, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 10 10586, Dual Monitor, Cintiq 13HD

Christian Zuppinger

Post by Christian Zuppinger » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:38 am

Maybe I have misunderstood the question, but is it not the normal behavior of a TOP-view? The top view in the viewport assumes that you see a projections of the objects and you cannot move in more than 2 dimensions. We can move things with our hands even when we look at them from above, but we have two eyes and always see as a perspective view, while in the software you always deal with a specific number of degrees of freedom. In cinema4D, for example, the y-axis does not exist in the TOP view.

Simon Dowsett

Post by Simon Dowsett » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:48 am

Maybe I have misunderstood the question, but is it not the normal behavior of a TOP-view? The top view in the viewport assumes that you see a projections of the objects and you cannot move in more than 2 dimensions.
It depends on the Axis coordinate-system used(3dsMax/Houdini etc) as to which view the gizmo doesn't work, but the problem is that it is constrained to only ONE axis!

The "Work around" is to set the Coordinate-system for: Lightwave, Cinema4D.