5.05 -objects imported from BIN and SD no longer have smooth

Aniki

5.05 -objects imported from BIN and SD no longer have smooth

Post by Aniki » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:31 pm

objects imported from BIN and SD no longer have smoothing applied

is this a feature ? I had to roll back to an older plugin because the mesh loaded without smoothed polys..

LuisMiguel

Re: 5.05 -objects imported from BIN and SD no longer have sm

Post by LuisMiguel » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:53 pm

Hi,

are you talking about the 3dsmax plugin?. it was deactivated by default due to it was confuse for some scenes. You can apply a smooth modifier for objects imported from realflow and check the autosmooth checkbox.

luisM.

Aniki

Post by Aniki » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:16 pm

yeah, but is that the same as the default smooth that was applied by the plugin before ?

I was told that max looses way to much performance when applying an extra smooth operator to a mesh sequence..

cheers

Aniki

LuisMiguel

Post by LuisMiguel » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:15 am

Usually when you import an object from realflow to 3dsmax, if you have the scene loaded and the object exists with the same name, the keys will be pasted on it. In this way, there won't be any change and it keeps its properties like smooth shading.

luisM.

kimgar

Post by kimgar » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:59 pm

the smooth modifier in max really kills performance, anyone got the smoothing groups to import correctly?

is there a setting in realflow? i just used the default rf mesh settings...

LuisMiguel

Post by LuisMiguel » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:47 pm

Hi Kimgar,

You are right. The smooth modidifier is taking long time to update the 3dsmax viewport and for rendering as well. Problem is that making that directly in the plugin will take the same time. It is a 3dsmax issue when working with meshes with tons of polygons. Anyway, we are looking for a way to fix this.

luisM.

kimgar

Post by kimgar » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:49 am

good to know, thanks. i'll just turn on the smooth modifier before render for now.

michaelwbell

Post by michaelwbell » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:11 am

Hi All, Hi LuisM,

Just wondering if there is an update on this issue?

It's really annoying to have to add the Smooth Modifier to every single mesh seq we import from realFlow. Also, from my understanding the Smooth + "Autosmooth" just applies an automatic normal value to every face depending on an edge threshold. Wouldn't this make my RealFlow mesh look different compared to how it looked in the original RealFlow viewport when it was made - due to the fact that the normals have now just been automatically set?

Or is there really no difference at all?

I think SD format is super handy, not just for realFlow but for baking 3ds max meshes + camreas down to a very efficient point cache format :D
But without the normal information, it's not useful anymore!!

Really hope it's technically possible for the mesh to retain the original normal info when it is imported into Max. Is there the same problem in Maya? If not, why is it different?

LuisMiguel

Post by LuisMiguel » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:43 am

Hello Michael,

It is not fixed yet directly in the plugin. As I said, the only way to smooth the normal is applying a smooth modifier directly in 3dsmax for now. We'll keep an eye on this.

luisM.