Best way to import particles in maya?

izo

Best way to import particles in maya?

Post by izo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:48 am

Hi guys,

So traditionally we've been using the connectivity plugin here to import the bin-particles into maya. But because of the underlying particle disk-cache functionality this seems unstable, maya seems "to think" that it should run up the particles, and in cases where the particlecount is in the millions, saving a scene-file can take hours.

With RF2013 i thought of using alembic particles instead, but maya seems unable to read them the way RF does? I actually can't see any particles at all when I've tested it.

So, I wanted to ask everyone here your thoughts about it. And what's your best practice to avoid maya trying to calculate the particles?
Are there any advantages to using pd or asc instead?

Sorry for the many questions but I feel this is something that's lacking in my workflow and surely any artists in a maya/rf-environment has thought about it aswell...

Thanks /D

CG_Nema

Re: Best way to import particles in maya?

Post by CG_Nema » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:45 am

I think the best way is to use RFRK, it loads them fast and doesn't crash even with millions of particles. It might still be a little slow of course, but it's at least manageable unlike a massive .bin import.

Hope this helps you!

FlorianK

Re: Best way to import particles in maya?

Post by FlorianK » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:40 am

izo wrote:Hi guys,

With RF2013 i thought of using alembic particles instead, but maya seems unable to read them the way RF does? I actually can't see any particles at all when I've tested it.

Thanks /D

ABC particles are currently not working with Maya's built in Alembic support. I am not sure if that is any better using Exocortex Crate, instead.