Differing Displacement

Frosty3d

Differing Displacement

Post by Frosty3d » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:15 am

I've imported my Hybrido particle mesh into Maya (2014 using VRay) that was displaced by the Hybrido OSS in RealFlow 2013.
The mesh looks fine.
What I then am trying to do is create a plane in Maya and use the same displacement map tiffs to displace the plane's surface to match the particle mesh. The plane has been created to the same size and my units are set to meters to match RF. The rendered displaced plane looks very different to the rendered particle mesh in terms of the OSS waveform.
I thought that you could use the displacement maps to create an infinite ocean surface into which I could composite the particle mesh, however, if they aren't even close to matching then I can't do this.

Any help on this workflow/problem would be greatly received.

gus
Site Admin

Re: Differing Displacement

Post by gus » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:14 am

Hi,

Unless you have a 3d vectorial displacement shader in VRay that understands the RF OSS displacement in the same way that the one we provide with the other implementations of RFRK(Maxwell, mentalray, Arnold...) I am afraid that you won´t be able to get the same look on the plane for the extension. If there is such a shader, it is possible that you can figure out how to export the displacement textures from RF that feed the correct data to the shader.

Chaos is currently working on their implementation of RFRK for VRay in Maya, so it should not be long before they have something working.

I hope this helps,

Cheers,

g-)
...........Gus Sánchez-Pérez..........
RealFlow Product Manager
Next Limit Technologies

Frosty3d

Re: Differing Displacement

Post by Frosty3d » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:32 am

This is an old question from 2012 - please disregard - I do have similar question posted today though.