Matching Realwave Displacement

Frosty3d

Matching Realwave Displacement

Post by Frosty3d » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:04 am

Using Maya 2016.5 and Realflow 2015.
I've successfully output both a displacement map and bin mesh from Realwave surface and imported into Maya.
I need to tile my Maya plane to create a large ocean surface using the displacement map from Reaflow.
I can do this using the RFRK displacement node plugged into the mentalray displacement shader group.
I've rendered both the bin mesh and my displaced plane in Maya to ensure that the displacement is being correctly applied, and they are very different from each other.

Are there specific settings I need to address to ensure that I can get my displaced plane to match the bin mesh?

I would use the bin mesh to create my tiled open ocean but I haven't yet found a way to blend the seams between each mesh. Is removing the seam possible?

The Maya scene is setup in metres, with my plane the same dimensions as the surface plane in Realwave.
All rendered with mentalray.
BinMesh.jpg
Displacement.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Frosty3d

Re: Matching Realwave Displacement

Post by Frosty3d » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:41 am

To confirm this is mentalray in Maya 2016.5

LuisMiguel

Post by LuisMiguel » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:07 am

Hi,

Could you post the scene so I can take a look at this?. It sounds that axis are different when applying the displacement for both methods.

luisM.

Frosty3d

Post by Frosty3d » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:55 am

Thank you - Posted scene via PM

LuisMiguel

Post by LuisMiguel » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:53 am

Hey,

I'm trying the scene you sent and there is not Displacement at all. RealFlow is exporting the displacement maps and I can apply the displacement directly with a graph. But in Maya is not possible. Is the scene you sent me for Maya, the same scene you showed me in this topic?. If I open the hypershade, I see there is not a file connected to the Displacements and the render engine is Maya software. Is that right?

Let me know.

luisM.

Frosty3d

Post by Frosty3d » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:54 am

Hi Luis,

I've just rechecked the Maya scene and it is configured with displacement and using mentalray. Not sure why it doesn't open the same for you? This is created in Maya 2016.5.
The displacement tiff is taken from Realflow using Export Central and making sure displacement is checked for the Realwave surface.
The generated Realwave tiff is then applied through a 'file' input node in Maya using the rfrk_displacement node applied to the mentalray displacement input on the shader group.
Here are some screen shots from the Maya scene I linked to you previously:
Screen01.jpg
Screen02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Frosty3d

Post by Frosty3d » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:02 am

Here is a copy of the Realwave displacement export from Realfow. I've downsized the image to allow for uploading - it was 8192sq in my output and in Maya.
Just looking at the displacement I cannot see the edge detail for the waves that is seen in the bin mesh I exported. The displacement looks more billowy.
Any help on this would be greatly received as I'm currently facing a brick wall with it.
Realwave01_displacement.00000.tif

Frosty3d

Post by Frosty3d » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:58 am

Can anyone send me a tiff displacement that they have generated from Realwave ocean statistical spectrum?
I need to see if its the tiff displacement generation I've got an issue with or the Maya plugin.
Don't seem to be getting any help on this so far.

Thanks.

Frosty3d

Post by Frosty3d » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:13 am

*BUMP*