Timeline Lock Cache

Is there anything that you would like to see in future versions of RealFlow?
Oldcode

Timeline Lock Cache

Post by Oldcode » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:24 pm

Hi,

Sometime when I'm using the Lock Timeline button to set up my scene, by letting fluid settle for example, I have to do this for many many hours. I will sometimes let it go while I'm in bed at night, or while I'm at work.

The problem is, the longer the program goes, the more likely it is to crash. If the program crashes, all the progress I've made is lost. Locking the time line does not save the particle state to cache.

Could there be a way to have the progress saved to a file you could then use as an initial state so your progress won't be lost?

Oldcode

Re: Timeline Lock Cache

Post by Oldcode » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:18 am

Anybody?

I think this is a good idea and could be done fairly simply. If its a bad idea, could somebody please tell me?

gus
Site Admin

Post by gus » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:46 pm

Hi,

Not a bad idea at all and something we have in the todo list.
As a workaround, you could simulate normally, without the lock feature on, but without exporting, and set a python script to save every nth frame, so if for whatever reason it crashes, you will still have something valid to start with.
Once the simulation finish for the frames you wanted the runnup to be, you simply set that frame to be an initial state.

I hope it helps.

g-)
...........Gus Sánchez-Pérez..........
RealFlow Product Manager
Next Limit Technologies

Oldcode

Post by Oldcode » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:38 pm

Hi Gus,

Thanks for the reply. Your idea is pretty much how I get around the problem, but I though it just might be a good idea to be able to save your progress when you lock the timeline.

Cheers! :)