Deselect Nodes

Is there anything that you would like to see in future versions of RealFlow?
Otuama

Deselect Nodes

Post by Otuama » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:23 pm

Say for example I have a lot of close together objects in the scene.

I want to select some.... I can either click drag over the objects or select one, hold shift and select another.

However, what if I need to deselect one? As far as I can see there is no way to do it. Ctrl click selects the one I want to deselect and deselects the rest. Shift click only places the transform controls on the one I clicked and keeps it selected.

Ctrl click drag deselects them but also deselects any within the drag area.

Ctrl clicking in the node list deselects objects, however, when shift clicking in the UI, the node list moves about and shows some selected objects but there is no way to tell which is the one I want to deselect.
Otuama - Vimeo
'Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.' - Gandhi

CG_Nema

Re: Deselect Nodes

Post by CG_Nema » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:45 am

If you mouse-hover over a node in the viewport, it will show you the name of the node. Hope that helps.

Otuama

Post by Otuama » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:46 am

Hmmm, but it's a pain then having to scroll through each node in the list in order to find one node, then do it again for another.
Otuama - Vimeo
'Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.' - Gandhi

CG_Nema

Post by CG_Nema » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:00 am

That's true if you have a lot of nodes in your scene. It might make it easier if you type the name in the filter to find the node.

But what is the condition of the objects you need to deselect? Maybe you can write a python script to find certain nodes and deselect them. Why do you deselect these nodes: their position, their velocity, their type, ect...? If there is a reason to deselect these nodes that can be described in python, you could automate the whole thing.

Otuama

Post by Otuama » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:04 am

That means taking steps which are unnecessary. This is why this topic is under wish list. I can't see any reason why ctrl clicking an object moves just places the transform axis on that objects.

So, it'd be good changing that to deselect objects instead. Making things consistent with Maya, Windows, even Photoshop to name a few.
Otuama - Vimeo

LuisMiguel

Post by LuisMiguel » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:45 am

Hi,

You are right. When there are so many objects in the scene, to select them is a bit complicated and it is useful to use the node list. Also, and I always use this, you can use the layers making groups with the nodes you want to select. In addition, there is a script I made long time ago and it was the isolated like 3dsmax has.

http://www.realflow.com/resources/item/ ... 5/isolated

luisM.