Wetmap shader breaks too often

Is there anything that you would like to see in future versions of RealFlow?
Lazore

Wetmap shader breaks too often

Post by Lazore » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:01 pm

Ive had my wetmap stop working on me now several times on one project, allways after i have cached it once.

Sometimes remaking the texture works, sometimes nothing works.

Gotta make the wetmap shader more foolproof

Scott Frizzle

Re: Wetmap shader breaks too often

Post by Scott Frizzle » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:19 pm

Assuming you are referring to Realflow|Cinema 4D, I agree; I've found the wet map workflow to be unreliable. A better approach in my opinion would be to have a particle sampler shader that would look for nearby particles, instead of having to render out a PNG sequence. This is what seems to be happening internally in RF|C4D with the generation of wet maps and vertex maps, but the particle sampler approach would offer more flexibility.

Scott Frizzle

Post by Scott Frizzle » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:04 pm

As a follow up to the wet map issue, I wanted to mention that Cinema 4D R20 has the ability to have particles directly effect vertex maps, so you can create wet maps via Thinking Particles in a much more direct and controllable way than the current RF|C4D functionality. It would be great if next version of RF|C4D takes advantage of this without the need to use TP, but I've tested it with the current version and it works very well (although it takes some fiddling to get it set up.) I'm also hoping that the new capabilities of R20 open up some particle shader and other possibilities in RF|C4D.

Nicholas McMurray

Post by Nicholas McMurray » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:11 am

@Scott Frizzle
Could you explain how to do this?