Creating a real viscous falling diluted paint effect

Post here anything related to RealFlow that doesn't specifically belong in any of the forums below
manuel franquelo

Creating a real viscous falling diluted paint effect

Post by manuel franquelo » Wed May 17, 2017 5:03 pm

Hello,

I'm new to realflow and finding myself slowly learning its really amazing capabilities. I need to achieve a sort of not-so energetic and viscous cascade of paint overflowing. As if i were handhelding the paint pot, tilting it and generating a "cascade" that hits a two shelfs and then just ends up in the floor.

The aim of this sim is the following:
I want to create a rather complicated sculpture. I am trying to replicate (in real life) as if i freezed with a camera a cascade of paint down these shelfs. Of course that is not possible to replicate in real life, as the liquid would just flow to the bottom and disappear. It is very complicated -and probably impossible- to achieve this result using different materials such as polyurethane, resins etc. They need too much time to harden. The aim of this sim is to create a realistic mesh of the fluid cascading down the shelfs. This will then be 3d routed in low density porex and serve as a very close structure from which to drop the real liquid. Hopefully the 3d routed core will serve as a "pathway" for the resin to consolidate. :roll: I hope i haven't scared you too much!

Anyway, I've been trying this for more than a week non-stop. I've read lots of tutorials and how different parameters affect the sim. I've also followed a few tutorials such as one from lynda "up and running with realflow". But i feel myself stuck with this simulation that i have to get delivered in a -not very worrying deadline-.

It seems i am still unable to replicate this kind of fluid.

- I need it to be Viscous, such as diluted paint.
- Create tendrils
- I need the liquid to look with the randomness as it was being dripped from a handheld paint pot
- It needs to be thick, but not so thick.
- It needs to "accumulate" in not so easy to merge "layers" of thin fluid.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2g03jd58tfs9g ... 1.jpg?dl=0

These are my parameters:

Sim min steps: 25
Sim max steps: 25
Iterations: 20

Default grid size

Scene scale of 0.3 (to accomodate to realflow's grid) not too big, not too small.
Daemon force scale of 1.00
Dyverso domain "New Viscous solver"

Resolution: 45 (for testing)
Density of 1150 (little bit more than water)
Internal pressure of 3
External pressure of 0.5
Viscosity of 0.3

Emitter

Circle
Speed: Animated from 0.00 to 2.00 with a bezier curve
V Random: 0.4
H Random: 0.4

Object properties: Pot

Cell size of 0.03 (to replicate object's geometry properly)
DY Friction: 0.001 (to slow the fluid down so it sticks better to the object when flowing down)
DY Bounce: 0.0001 (no bounce since it is not interesting in this sim)
DY Sticky: 10 (i want the fluid to stick to the surface of the pot like any paint would do)
Dy Roughness: 0.004 (a little bit of imperfection in the surface's normals)

Forces: Daemons

Gravity: Compensated to 30.0
K volume: to limit the particles
K isolated: 0.001 (to remove any particles that might jump out of the main fluid)
Sheeter: Cavity size 1.65 Tendrils: Yes.
Noise field: 0.8 Movement randomness

Well, i think that's all. I would really appreciate any suggestions or help.
Thank you very much! :roll:

Manuel Franquelo.