Fill fracture with high viscous fluid

Post your RealFlow | Cinema 4D questions here.
Philip van Wijngaarden

Fill fracture with high viscous fluid

Post by Philip van Wijngaarden » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:21 pm

After watching Goodbye Kansas Studio zombie crusher I was wondering if something similar could be done in C4d, fracture an object, fill it with high viscous fluid and explode it.

watch it here https://vimeo.com/264968960
Manipulator of salt, vertrices and pixels

Thomas Schlick

Re: Fill fracture with high viscous fluid

Post by Thomas Schlick » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:04 am

That's a great VFX shot, but certainly not easy to replicate in RF|C4D.

You need lots of fill emitters - one per fracture. This is perhaps something that can be done with some patience, but there's a more profound limitation: RF|C4D doesn't support objects with changing topology. When an object bursts you might see flakes and parts separating from the main body, furthermore the objects is tearing apart, creating openings and holes. These changes in geometry - and maybe even the number of vertices and polygons - are not supported by the plugin.

The only way I can think of at the moment is to simulate the characters with C4D's own dynamics system, e.g. a combination of cloth and soft bodies and bake this part. Then you apply animated emitters. Emission starts when the first parts of a character hits the crusher's blades. Maybe it'll also help to take some parts of the character and use their surfaces as emitters. Again, these object emitters are animated and start to produce particles when there's interaction with the crusher. You can also define several fluid types like to simulate the different "materials" of a body: blood (liquid-pbd), flesh (visco-elastic), and bone fragments (granular).

It's certainly worth trying and I can imagine that you'll be able to get good results. This shot is such a carnage that it's very likely that you won't see these tricks. I'm also pretty sure that the artists from Goodby Kansas used supporting emitters in their simulations.

Philip van Wijngaarden

Re: Fill fracture with high viscous fluid

Post by Philip van Wijngaarden » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:35 pm

Thank you for your extensive reply Thomas.
Manipulator of salt, vertrices and pixels