Granular solver to thinking particles and octane

Post your RealFlow | Cinema 4D questions here.
Thanos Kagkalos

Granular solver to thinking particles and octane

Post by Thanos Kagkalos » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:12 pm

Hi, im trying to render granular solver and i cant find how. Sorry i have no clue about thinking particles and i was wondering if there is something im missing here. See image below. I see particles in viewport but im not sure how to see em inside octane. Maybe its octane limitation? any tips appreciated
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanos Kagkalos

Re: Granular solver to thinking particles and octane

Post by Thanos Kagkalos » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:35 am

Also following up on the manual, i added a cube as child in the fluid in order to see each particle as mesh, but that doesnt work (im on latest version). Is it broken or i have to do something extra? thanks

Thanos Kagkalos

Post by Thanos Kagkalos » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:41 pm

Hi, forum died? :)

Scott Frizzle

Post by Scott Frizzle » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:05 pm

Yeah, this forum does seem pretty dead these days. :)

Here's a basic file in the latest version of RF|C4D where I've got a granular simulation with a cube as the child of the fluid, and it renders with no problems. You can also use the mesher to get good sand type effects; just set the particle radius very low and get rid of all or most of the smoothing.

I can't help with any Octane specific issues since I don't have Octane, but it sounds like something else is wrong with your file. If you still can't get it to work, post a scene file and I'll see how it looks on my end.
RF Granular particles.c4d.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanos Kagkalos

Post by Thanos Kagkalos » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:18 pm

Ur the man Scott!!! Thanks a lot. The mesher tip is very nice. One more question there, if make the particle radius really small it will add tones of detail and it will crash right? Or since i remove all smoothing etc, it makes it like a cube? really appreciate the help here!

Scott Frizzle

Post by Scott Frizzle » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:01 am

Setting the particle radius very low will definitely add detail, but it's also adding a lot of geometry to the mesh so you have to be careful not to overtax your system. Try reducing it gradually and seeing how your system responds. Also keep in mind the mesh resolution settings. With no smoothing and very low particle radius settings you're basically creating a bunch of tiny spheres, so I'd compare this with actually using a tiny sphere as a child of your fluid object depending on the look you're going for. One handy tip when rendering the sphere particles is to set the sphere segments down to 4 but check the "render perfect" box to get smooth spheres at render time. I'd also check the "render only" option in the fluid particles settings for speedier viewport performance.